Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought you might enjoy this. My family has been close to "Buff's" family going back to the 1950s. He is the only one of the "Greatest Generation" left. He also happens to be my sister's FIL. Family gathering last week he told a story. Something I've noticed is that these old guys don't talk of heroics, rather they talk about the better parts of being young and traveling the world. Buff was in Burma, and he was either with, or worked with Merrills Marauders. At the camp in Burma he got his hands on a broken British generator. He tore it apart, rebuilt it, and put it to use (Buff is really handy, and STILL works for an apartment management company doing handyman stuff, at 85 yo). He had the only tent in camp with electric lights. He found a large supply canister (also British) and built an insulated box around it. He would finaggle a jeep, and drive 40 miles to a British outfit that had an ice making machine.

Now in them days the GIs all had a beer ration. They would all bring him their beer, and for every 4 bottles of warm beer, he would return 3 bottles of cold beer. He sent home for the custom poker chips he had that read "Buff's Place". He used the chips as beer tokens.

Just thought you all might like this.

·
zone 5 - riverfrontage
7,245 Posts
The military still subsidizes the price of alcohol for troops. :)

When we lived in Scotland, we could buy Scotish whiskey cheaper on-base than we could get it at the distillerys. It had been taxed, shipped to the US, taxed again, bought by the DOD, shipped back to the UK and put on shelves at the Exchange. And it was sold for much cheaper.

Living stateside now, we still get most of our alcohol from on-base. At on-base prices. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.