Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I and our 3 boys are looking for some property in missouri or arkansas. My husband is disabled with muscular dystrophy, but wants to homestead on some land before his health deteoriates to where he cant do things like he can now.
We wanted to know if anyone knew of any places that sell land in these areas on land contract. We want at least 5 acres. Please let us know of anything.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
You can do searches for Missouri real estate and Arkansas real estate. We did most of our real estate searching online as we were in TX looking for property in MS.

My husband also has muscular dystrophy (PROMM) and we are not looking forward to the day he becomes unable to enjoy the activities he does now. Right now he falls a lot, but hasn't hurt himself severely...yet. As long as he can get out and take walks with his dogs he is happy.

I hope you can find a place quickly so your husband can get out and enjoy himself as much as possible.

·
Banned
2,828 Posts
Mauto, do you want land that is mostly open or would you prefer a wooded parcel that needs to be cleared(lots of great firewood)?

I have 15 wooded acres in north central AR-Fulton County and the last I knew there were 3 more 15 acre parcels available-all with owner financing with something like $1000 down & a share of the title/survey costs. I think my total for survey/title came to $350-$400.
The mininum size of the parcels is 15 acres but if someone wanted 45 that wouldn't be a problem, there was only 92 acres total so there will never be more than 6 homesteads there. The restrictions are reasonable at least for me; no junk yards or factory farms; homesteading activities are encouraged and the minimum house size is 800sq ft. Mobiles are allowed but must be secured and have skirting. To insure privacy and reduce/eliminate neighbor disputes, you can't build any building closer than 100' from the property line.

The land is not prone to flooding that I'm aware of but I haven't lived on my parcel yet; but it is higher so I believe it is safe from floods.
There's electric & telephone @ the main county road so depending on which parcel you would select you wouldn't have a long way to run lines.
The parcel I have has the county road frontage but there's a new access side road that would be great for running the lines next to.
As far as I know, there's no easements for other parcels, at least the one I have doesn't have any easements other than an electric company easement.

PM me if you're interested in finding out more. I'd love having a homesteading neighbor when I move to the land. :dance:

·
Five of Seven
3,295 Posts
There's a good book on the subject, called How to Find and Buy Your Place in the Country, by Les Scher. It covers every aspect of the subject from looking for the property to closing the deal and even has some sample contracts, and includes many of the pitfalls to avoid. One of the good pieces of advice he recommends is to make sure you spend some time in the area(and even on the property if possible) before you commit.
If you don't want to buy a copy of the book you might check the local library. They might have a copy of it. It's been out for more than 20 years.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Mauto:For folks that want land in the country but have limited funds, you cant go wrong with Neil Shelton at Ozarkland.com. No money down, simple 10 year contract. I bought my 12 acres from him in 1999 and made my last payment today(I paid off early with my severance check on retirement). Many of us have done business with Neil and I can't recommend him enough.
Good luck with you search. I'm disabled too so I understand your husband's desire perfectly. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts