Wanting to get rabbits...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Alvary, May 21, 2005.

1. Alvary

Alvary dOn't gEt mAd, gEt EvIl.

hello guys

Ok...I have an old gunie pig cage there or i can use these old pidgeon cages. Both i can wrap in shade cloth to make mosquito proof.
    I can get a doe pretty easily...not sure what breed yet. Foods no hastle either.

My question is...Should i get rabbit(s) if there is a chance it/they will get mixy?

And if so, what breed would you recomend?

Thanks guys
    Jessica

2. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'

3. Alvary

lol..short for the rabbit visis i can't spell!!! Myxymatosis...just say that and your rigth!
    Here we just call it mixy or Mixo

Jessica

4. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Myxomatosis... horrid stuff

5. Alvary

Yep...about once a year it runs through the wild rabbit population here. Doesn't seem to have as much of an effect to the domestic rabbits, but certainaly knocks the wild ones about!

Do you think i have a chance of keeping and breeding meat rabbits without mixy being a threat?

Jessica

6. Xandras_Zoo

7. Xandras_Zoo

I suppose it depends on your managment practices- and where you keep them. Being outside they would be exposed all the germs.
    I would have a shed that is well ventilated but secure. It would be an idea to put a solid divider between the hutches so if the disease did get in and infects one rabbit, they wouldn't have nose to nose contact.

My $o.o2

8. Alvary

thanks
    Each section of the cage bank will be 100% seperate from the other rabbits. I even have it so that urine can't get into another section!!!
    They aren't in a shed, but will still have alot of shelter and the cages are compleatly weather proof. I would prefer to have them in a shed, but it is very hard as i don't have anywhere with enough room that will stay clean lol.

Well...i guess i can naught but try! Wish me luck!

Jessica

9. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

10. Alvary

hello guys

well...been working on my cages. Couple of questions...

1) what do i put in the cage for when the doe ISN"T nesting? Can i put a 1inch high tray (with hay) at one end? or will they dirty that?

2) what do i do about water? I have some stainless steel coop cups for food, but not sure about water. I have seen nipple drinkers and ball drinkers and bowls for sale. (the names, not the products)

3) what whould be the best food for them? I'm not too keen on buying pellets etc becuase they are costly and not alwyas the best option either. I can grow alot of feeds here and also have a continuose suply of free grain (long story)

thanks guys
    Jessica

11. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

dont put hay or anything in the cage when not nesting, leads to piles of poop, stinky mess

water bowls are fine, if youre able to check them 2x a day , nipple systems are good, but leakage makes a huge odor issue , water bottles i have found are best for anything under 40 rabbits .

pellets are best, but if you have acess to enough grain and roughage, you should be ok too
    after all wild bunnnies dont eat pellets ...
    need to feed a good variety thogh to make sure nutrition is met, and if feedign rough feeds, make sure to have mineral spool available