Wanting to get into spinning

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Caelma, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

Can someone suggest web sites, books, etc for
    someone wanting to learn spinning?
    Also supply companies and info on wheels.
    Thank you

2. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Your best bet is to try to find a local spinning group , yes the do really exist. Or try a local store that sell wheels or a sheep and wool fest. OK now for the reason.... you want to try as many wheels as you can before buying one. They all feel a bit different and work a bit different. I don't think i would want to just jump in with no help. Another thought is there a historic village near by ?? Canada has Upper Canada Village, Mass has Sturbridge Village and i am sure there is a million other places too , call there or go visit I am sure they have a spinner or 2.

Tell us were you are maybe someone close by can guide you. I bought my wheel from the Merlin Tree , they have a web site.

Patty

3. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

There are a zillion dealers in wheels and spinning supplies. I agree - find a guild and join it! You will be surprised to find out how many people spin in your area. Once you get into the loop, we pop out of the woodwork. :rolleyes:

A place to get started is finding a sheep/wool/fiber festival in your area and attending it. It may be a large regional show, or just a small one at a local sheep farm that invites some friends to demostrate and sell their wares. You can try wheels, find fiber, equipment, books, take classes, and make new friends.

Try this link. Ron Parker has compiled a huge list of internet links. One of the lists is of fiber festivals by state. It also has Yahoo groups, fiber precessors, wheel vendors, places to buy/sell used equipment, etc. The Housecleaning Page link is great!

http://hem.bredband.net/ronpar/index.html

Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

4. bergere

bergere Just living Life

5. orphy

orphy Well-Known Member

I too am looking to start spinning. I have haired sheep and angora rabbits. I found a wonderful site;
    joyofhandspinning.com and it is very infromative and has some video to help you also but I am also trying to find a guild where I can get some hands on info.

6. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree find a fiber guild and join! Spinning wheels are not cheap and I was told not to buy a used one if you don't know about them ( might be missing something and a beginner might not know what). Our guild has about 9 ladies and 8 out of the 9 spin and there are 6 different wheels.. SO, I got to try our 6 different ones before I purchased one.. I finally purchased an Ashford's "Traditional" w/ single drive and love it. It is easy to use. I purchased it (NEW) off of Ebay and got free shipping, bobbins, a niddy nddy and 8 oz. of wool. It was unfinished and unassembled but I enjoy staining, and putting things together (it was easy). It weighs less than 18lbs so I can move it from room to room or even put it in the car if I want to... If you decide to buy one let me know and I'll give you the name of the seller of mine. He was great to deal with... Did everything he said he would and more...

7. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Having assembled an Ashford Traveler wheel I can say they are well made and easy to complete. Hopfully there is a guild close to you that can help with classes etc. Steady yourself for a few jokes, my poor wife can't say she off to spin for some demonstration day or whatever without my asking "With your wheel or on foot?" Cracks her up so bad, it throws her aim WAY off.

8. Somerhill

Here is another website to find used equipment, fiber, and locate groups and festivals nearby.

Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com
    p.s. I LOVE my Louet S10. Also have a Columbine, and a Jensen 30" production wheel in cherry with half spindles.

9. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Caelma, when I got my wheel it was from ebay; an Ashford traditional, and it came with the instruciton booklet. I actually taught myself the basics with the book. Well...basics being lumpy, bumpy single ply. But hey, folks loved it! Can't do lumpy, bumpy anymore to save my life (they told me that would happen!)

10. Somerhill