Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been saving for a camper, finally found a great one, 300$ more than we had planned but for the condition and size --according to all the others we have seen-- this is a great price! So, I go and 'inspect' it tonight, it great perfect for us to use at the lake and/or beach and large enough to sleep 4 adults and 4 kids easy. But now I am saying (to myself--dh is at work): do I really want to purchase this? Am I going to use it or will the kids/grandkids? Will it be easy to pull and set up or is it going to be a headache? Should I take the money and build a chicken coop, sheep barn and buy more animals?

Dh wants to use this as a 'get-away. He can work from the beach and we could spend lots of time being beach bums....BUT I can't have my animals, garden, herbs, vineyard and orchard at the beach! It seems like we already have too much to do without spending even more time away...So NOW, I have cold feet about the camper and dh is even more excited about it..He has already found a gated camp ground with a nice boat ramp but I will only have a tiny little lot.. And my dachshunds bark a lot...

Should I suggest that we step back and wait.. or should I just let him get it and go along for a while--to see if he gets tired of it?? Maybe I should suggest that we purchase an acre or two-this way I could plant a garden, have a couple of hens and a chicken tractor. Have room for the dogs, a play area for the g'kids and a grilling/ lounging area for the kids.

I am really not sure IF it is the thought of spending the money, not being on the farm, change or the thought of have too many people around all the time!

I would love to have your suggestions, ideas, thoughts...Thanks Queen Bee

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
I would wait, there are going to be plenty of those campers for sale, with gas prices the way they are.
If you bought one and decided you didn't want it, you won't get your money back on it later. also because of gas prices.

Sounds like you need to tell your dh, that your rethinking the camper thing.
I bet you started the savings when gas was cheaper.

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
Queen Bee said:
Should I take the money and build a chicken coop, sheep barn and buy more animals?
This is exactly something I would say in a similar situation. I'm a very "practical-minded" person. I have a difficult time justifying spending larger sums of money on something that isn't practical or functional. If it's something that will only be used occasionally, I usually suffer major buyer's remorse. If it's something that is totally "for fun" I do the same thing; wouldn't the money be better spent on something we need, or something that can be used for a practical purpose? DH accuses me of being too serious.

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
Do you have kids? I don't know, my Mom and Dad bought a little camper when we were kids and we'd take it to the beach and park it there for the summer. Dad also had a dory and we fished and camped for years and year.

It was a great time for the family, one of many activities that we enjoyed.

I am of the mind that people need to have family fun time together. Sounds like the camper wouldn't cost too much, and could be years of enjoyment for the whole family.

JMO

·
Registered
185 Posts
Once you have animals other than your dogs, it will be that much more difficult to get away for a weekend or whole week, and it sounds like your DH has getaways on his mind.
Sounds like more deep conversation about each others needs/wants is in order.

My 2 Lincolns.

·
Banned
1,811 Posts
DH and I started camping a few years before we got married. He bought an inexpensive used travel trailer (1979 model), and we took it to the lake, the beach, the mountains--was sort of like playing "house" before we got married. Being dairy farmers, we didn't get to use it all that much, but when we did--boy, was it worth it. We used that old camper for about 18 years and then "upgraded" (ha!) to a 1987 model in 2004. We love this new Terry 5th wheel. Pulls great, and most everything on it works fine. As with the other one, we don't use it that often, but we're mighty glad to have it. We like being able to pull it wherever we want to go--a change of scenery, so to speak. Are y'all thinking about leaving the camper at the beach more/less permanently? I can't really speak to that idea. I like going different places, and going cheaply. The camper is great for that purpose. Bottom line: I vote for getting the camper! I don't think you'll regret it.

Edited to add: I bet you're not more tied down with animals than we are. Go for it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts