wanting info on using C S for fertilizer on fields

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by FarmboyBill, Sep 29, 2005.

1. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Ive farmed here in NE Okla for 25 yrs nearly, Never been satisfied with the yeilds herer, Ive farmed in NE Kans, and NW Mo. and here is the worst. Ive used granular fertilizer in my corn and milo, put on during planting, in the row, to varied resultrs across the field. I use Hybred corn, and Ivew used open pollinaterd, no difference, spotty yield regardfless. Next year, im going to have C S spread on the ground and see what it does. At the very least itall saver mt tons of time not having to stop and refill the fert pots. I was just wondering if anybody else had used it, and how they felt aboout it if they had. The diff in yielde, and price.

2. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

I don't know if C S means cow manure or not, but I spread horse manure and shavings on my pastures after using chemical fertilizer for years with poor results. Had the soil tested and all that jazz, bought what was recommended and it cost me a bundle, and still the ground wasn't really improved and the first drought that came along, just killed the grass. Switched over to my stall cleanings and spread that out daily and I've got the greenest grass ever. It takes longer to "work" but the results last longer, the ground is improved and appears more top soily (is that a word? lol), but the ground holds water better, instead of it just running off, not a lot of cracking either with drought.

Never used Cow manure, but have used Chicken S.. and let me tell you, it is high, high in the stink department for a couple of days after application. It works well too, but can burn up your grass if applied too heavily. I would think it would be ok to apply during the fallow season and tilled in so it wouldn't burn up your crops. You may need to apply lime though as I am thinking that due to the high nitrogen content of poulty droppings, it may make the soil ph change. I can't get that stuff anymore, only poultry house near me closed down, so I just use horse manure and that seems to work and not be quite so "hot".

Sidepasser

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I am a soil scientist and have no idea what the heck C S is?

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I believe the C is for chicken. If so CS is the best additive that I have ever used on my pastures. Admittedly, I put it on thick. The manure I get is from a layer house and there is no need to lime since the chickens are feed calcium for egg shell production. My opinion is that the trace elements in the poultry waste are what aids in the dramatic increase in forage growth over that of simple 3 component commercial fertilizers. I apply approximately 4 to 5 tons per acre but it is mixed with shavings so it is not full strength.