Wanted to share my Christmas Gift

Discussion in 'Goats' started by lhopkins, Dec 25, 2004.

1. lhopkins

lhopkins Member

I am new to this list but wanted to share what has happened to me in the last 2 months and hope that it may help a woman reading this.

I am 41, active, don't smoke, drink, no family histories of cancers, the "not at risk" type.

I haven't had an annual exam in the last 4 years. Hubby had asked me to and finally in November, he said he would get a vascetomy if I would go. I made the appointment that day! The nurse asked how long I have had a puffy belly. I responded that it was just middle age spread. She sent me for a mammogram and an ultrasound anyway. The pap and mammogram came up clear. The ultrasound showed large masses in my bladder and uterious, but that the ones in the uterius were just benine fibroids. I was sent to a urologist who confirmed that I had nothing in my bladder but it was in my uterius.

The gynocologist said I didn't have to have surgery because the fibroids were common, not causing me any pain or problems, and they would shrink with memopause, but since they were large, we should go ahead and take them out.

I had surgery on Dec. 21st. After I was in surgery only 15 minutes, my husband got a call that it wasn't what we thought and one ovary would have to be removed, could the doctor remove the other one? My husband said yes and after surgery, he was hit with the bomb shell that I had nothing in my uterius (the person who read the ultrasound was totally wrong!) but I had ovarian cancer. While the doctor was there, he did several biopsy's of different areas inside me. We got the blessed news that all came back clear!

So far, it seems that the cancer was totally incased in the ovary and I am cancer free. I will have to go to an oncologist to make sure and keep a check.

God was with me in all this. I am writing to warn all of you. Please keep a check on yourself. I had no clue, no idea how close I was to disaster.

Looking back over the last 3 or 4 years, I did have a few things but put them off to memopause onset and middle age......Skipped periods, belly getting bigger, accidents when I cough, occasionally a tingling sensation on my right side under my rib cage like a butterfly was inside me, sometimes I would catch myself walking like I was pregnant and would think "what am I doing?". But these were nothing to concern a doctor with. My belly was firmer than it was supposed to be, but I didn't know it. It wasn't until after the nurse told me and I started feeling of it and other people's bellies that I did notice I had a hard spot.

I'm sore, can't go to the barn to see the girls, can't lift, drive, etc, for a while but I'm alive only with God's intervention.

Please, please ladies, do some research and keep a check on yourselfs. I never thought I would face the "c" word. I am the lucky one. Make sure you are too!

Merry Christmas to all!

Leslie

2. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

thank god your husband kept after you for it !

Leslie, take care of yourself, and recuperate , the girls in the barn will be better off with a healthy goat mommy, than a sick one
    be carefull, and i will keep you in my thoughts and prayers !

3. lhopkins

lhopkins Member

Thank you bethlaf! (I'm in AR too. What do you think of this white Christmas?)

Yes, I owe hubby and big debt. I am known to be stubborn and a tight-wad and since I had no symptoms I thought I had no reason to go for the exam. If it wasn't for him offering to "sacrifice" himself I would have never made that appointment.

After I got home and could, I searched ovarian cancer, and in just five minutes I found out that it is the largest killer of women and that 70% of women have no symptoms or clue until the cancer has progressed to a point of being too late. I was on a fast track to being part of that 70%.

I hope I can spread the word so ladies will talk to the doctor or at least look it up on the web and become more aware. The pap smear doesn't detect it.

Hope all of you had a wonderful Christmas and keep yourself safe!

And more good news, hubby said that as soon as the snow melts, he will help me walk to the barn so I can sit with the girls! Yeah! It has been hard to turn over their care to the family, always wondering if they are checking for the start of soft poops, checking eyes, that everyone is eating and drinking, etc.

If I could get out there, at least I could tell everyone what to do!

Have a great New Year everyone!

Leslie

4. leaping leon

leaping leon Well-Known Member

Add my prayers to those of others...so glad for you that it was found in time. May you have a quick recovery! Thanks for sharing with us.