Wanted Tips/Suggestions on ways for young adults to make extra money

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Mommylisa, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Mommylisa

Mommylisa Well-Known Member

Hi

A week from Friday is my son's birthday. I would like to teach him responsibility, being a good stewart, and to make it on his own. Those are things we need to teach him along the way. For one of his gifts I am compiling a booklet of tips of ways to make extra money or even businesses to start.

I would love to include any tips, suggestions that you all may have for him.

Thank you
    Lisa

2. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I bought my son a chainsaw for his 15th birthday. He's a big kid so teaching him to use it properly wasn't a problem. He's made a ton of money cutting wood. He also mows lawns (bought himself a used mower on craigslist for $20), does yard work and general clean up, and also raises meat lambs to sell.

What are his interests? Nobody is happy just "making money". My son likes to work outdoors.

What kinds of skills does he have? Can he learn a skill? Can he apprentice with someone in your area, a contractor or carpenter or plumber or roofer? My son has worked as a laborer for all of these (and an electrician). It has given him pocket money and a taste of the kinds of jobs a young man can pursue and live a homesteading lifestyle. He's leaning towards the building trades now.

Can he fix computers or teach others (like older folks) how to use a computer? How about a musical instrument? Can he tutor younger kids in a subject he's good at, math or english? Does he know a foreign language?

3. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

My son mucks my stalls for me but if he didn't I'd sure appreciate any other willing honest teenager that would want to, other stuff around here also like pulling the neverending loads of trash out of the woodline, mowing in the spring and summer also. Cutting, chopping and stacking firewood pays well here also. Agree with the "flag waving queer" ( ;) )above: Our electrician has offered my son (16) to work with him next summer for extra cash and experience, perfect!, except I guess I 'll be doing my own stalls again, hmmm.

4. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

He could:

Sell things he raised in the garden.

Start a veggie and fruit run in the neighborhood. A lot of elderly people that can't get out might enjoy his coming by. I did that for a couple years and made really good money. (I did have partner GF's dad and he had a truck) We bought things at the farmers market by the case and resold it.

I weaved pot holders and sold them.

Mow lawns.

Ask around. The elderly love to pay kids to pull weeds and various other things in their yard for two reasons, one the company and things in their yard get done. I made a lot of money (for a kid) this way. Planted a lot of flowers...

Feed animals when people go out of town.

Babysit.

My mom paid me $0.02 per Jap Beetle that I killed. We got tired of counting so she started paying me by the cup full. I think I made $0.35 on day. Not bad for a 7 year old! :)

Once your name gets around that you do good work, people will have more work than he could ever get done. That is how I did it when I was a kid...

I could use some workers around here. You live close??? :help:

5. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

How old will your son be?

6. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

I agree with the mowing/lawncare idea in particular. I often get behind in simply raking the property around the house, and it always ends up looking horrible until usually sometime in January. Wish there were some young men or even a young woman who was willing to actually do some work around here. There is a family the next property over who have a few young men, but none interested in doing yardwork. Sigh.

7. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

Well, my kids all already do a lot around the farm for nothing, but they all have a regular option of going above and beyond to help us for $$$/hour. My 14 (sorry, just now 15) y.o. DD works at a local feed store and babysits. DD2 (11) babysits.

Ron

8. jynxt

jynxt Well-Known Member

I have 3 really diligent and hardworking kids (2 boys and a girl) who have had a really hard time finding anyone willing to pay them to do the leaf raking (or pine straw around us) yard mowing etc. They do have a few older folks near here who will put them to work on occasion but they have also resorted to hanging flyers at the feed stores offering "extra hands and legs" to anyone who needs them...within reason.

My kids are all interested in doing anything they can to make their own money....they are also interested in learning to manage their money properly from the start. (hopefully avoiding all of the mistakes their daddy and I have made) The boys have saved to buy breeding stock (rabbits)....my dd is planning to get started with bees as early as this spring (she has been wanting to forever but I thought she was awful young).

Keep the ideas and thoughts coming... great thread!!

9. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

All depends on how old I know my Son.Did Logging,Picker on Truck Farm,All kinds of Jobs with Tourist.Hay hauling.Fencing.

But he was 14+

big rockpile

10. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

I made a list of chores that I wanted done around the house and the price I would pay to have them done.Like my car cleaned out and vaccumed was $5.00. I posted it on the fridge and when they needed money to go somewhere they would choose a chore to do to get the money.This is when they were in school.and couldnt get jobs.