Wanted - Pig

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by sidepasser, Jan 17, 2007.

1. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Hi,

Want to raise a pig for my freezer, prefer the leaner type hog and looking in GA. and over the border in Alabama. Would like to get a pair so they will eat together.

Thanks

2. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Check the for sale board at your feed store. (You might ask the people there if they know anyone who has feeder pigs now too).

Pat

3. GeorgiaberryM

GeorgiaberryM Well-Known Member

Feed store buletin boards, thrifty nickle, local farms, small papers, ask around. If you want lean then you probably want a Hampshire or Yorkshire or some combination. Just a warning, if they have a large area to play in and are fed lots of stuff from the garden and grass then they may wind up leaner than you might want. I've seen people trying to undo what the pork industry has done to them. They are usually too lean at 250lbs for my taste.
    Husband o'G

4. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

I will check with the local feed stores, but don't hold out much hope of finding one around my town, there are so many zoning ordinances that you have to have a pretty good bit of land to even keep a pig in my county. The pen has to be 900 feet from the nearest property line and in suburbia, that just doesn't happen easily. I can have a pig cause I have 32 acres and have enough land, but someone on one acre or two wouldn't be able to.

Even a horse run in shed must be 200 feet from the nearest property line or the county will make you move it! More and more regulations...

I have a pen already built for said piggies, it is 1/4 acre, and can be subdivided if needed. Is that big enough to raise two up to 225 lbs? Or should it be larger/smaller? I don't want them running all the fat off, but don't like to see them "factory raised" either if you know what I mean. I like for them to have enough room to do their bathroom duty away from their house and food/water and be able to root a bit.

Thanks everyone, will keep looking!

5. GeorgiaberryM

GeorgiaberryM Well-Known Member

That is plenty of room. Pigs will use the latreen if they can and that keeps the stink down quite a bit. I can only smell mine if I am right next to them, even in summer. Keep in mind that they will tear it up pretty well. My pen is not that big but is big enough for them to run and play. Rather than put them on grass, I bring the grass to them. I've worked out a paddock system for the next ones so they can bring some more land under control.

What we do to get some more fat on them is butcher at an older age and larger weight. The meat is premium stuff.

I would try the thrifty nickle, I think called American Classifieds now. You can get it on line or in front of many small stores. We found our pigs by asking at the feed store and we got lucky because only one person knew about them. We've bought all of our pigs from him since then. (He has since gone out of buisness but we bought a pregnant duroc from him.) While looking for pigs we found some from the agriculture department at the high school and we found some from the thrifty nickle. We have to drive a bit to get them regardless of where they come from.

Husband o'G

6. chicamarun

chicamarun Well-Known Member

You can also try and find breeders by going to agriseek.com (a lot of stuff is outdated - but we did find someone local that way who had the breed we wanted) also you can check if you have local farmer's markets - a lot of the time if you find someone who has pork - then they either know someone who raises them or they do it themselves. eatwild.com and localharvest.com are 2 other decent "finding" places.

Also - some are better on pasture than others. We chose Tamworths because we wanted a heritage breed and also because they do nicely out of pasture. A light skined hog - I'd be worried about sunburn all the time. I also like durocs for pasture.