Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for (2) LGD's either Pyrenees or Maremma preferred. Male and female would be ideal, but would take any combination of the two. I would also like them to be young adults already working in a sheep flock. The flock has been harrassed by a domestic dog twice in two weeks. Too much pasture for my Llama, she will go into the small barnyard to protect my market lambs, the dogs will be out in the larger pastures. Please reply ASAP with any offers you have. NO problem dogs wanted...thank you.

Ron Siver
Good Shepherd Farm
http://www.goodshepherdfarm.com
518-597-9850

·
Pure mischief
897 Posts
Just do a google search for your regional breed/rescue association.

I do have to caution you that even should you be so lucky as to get a really solid, adult, trained, livestock oriented dog right away -and I would not hold you breath there - those of us with those dogs aren't lettin' 'em go :) - the dog is still need to get adjusted etc.

Your emergency might be better dealt with with a good electric fence set up right away.

Good luck - I hope the dog problems stop soon.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have 5 strand hi tensil and they are still getting in, brand new fence, also have a Llama....I have been educated enough, need some help....thanks.

Ron

·
Pure mischief
897 Posts
Ron

Just a thought - your five strand (that's IMO 2 strands too few) that's letting dogs in will also let your dogs out when you get them. Likely they're clearing the bottom without getting a charge. I wouldn't have less than seven strand for a large area. Or ag fencing with hot wires top and bottom.

There's been a tonne of posts here about stringing electric that might be of use to you and provide a solution while you get (and possibly train) a couple of good dogs.

Sorry to "educate" you further <g> but as someone with a LGD and who has also had predatory dog problems in the past, I am speaking form experience. If you can't keep the problem dogs out you sure won't keep your LGD in... sadly!

I think there's some good info at the LGD library - lgd.org

I hope this is of some use to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts