WANTED: Linebacker Cow

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by rhfarr, Aug 28, 2004.

1. rhfarr

rhfarr New Member

I am looking for a bred linebacker cow to use as a milk cow. I am very interested, as I can't afford to buy milk at the grocery store anymore, so please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thank you.

:yeeha:

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Inquiring minds want to know. What is a Linebacker cow? I have seen HerfordxCharlious(sp) cows breed to an angus bull that had black calves with a white stripe down their back and tail. Are Linebackers something like that?

3. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I'd reckon that Lineback cows would be as scarce a hen's teeth in MT.

Why a lineback?

4. rhfarr

rhfarr New Member

"I'd reckon that Lineback cows would be as scarce a hen's teeth in MT.

Why a lineback?"

I read about the linebacks in the June/July 2004 issue of farm & ranch...and they seem to be what I am looking for.

"Linebacks have a reputation for producing large volumes of milk with good protein and fat ratios. They are also known for their longevity, strong legs and feet, good udder form and calm personalities."

This will be my and my childrens first attempt at milking cows and I want to make it as good as an experience as possible, so that they won't mind doing it. (if you know what I mean).

I homeschool my kids and we just recently moved back to the country to a place of our own and wanted to get a milk cow....for the obvious reasons....milk is now 4.50 a gallon in our grocery stores...and with 2 teenage boys and a 4 year old girl....we go through a lot of milk.

Also, since we do live in the foothills of the snowy mountains, I figured this breed might fare better in our sometimes "harsh" winters, than a lot of other breeds of milk cows.

If you have any further information about these cows, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks.

5. rhfarr

rhfarr New Member

I had never heard of them until I saw the story about them in the June/July 2004 Farm & Ranch Living magazine. It was really quite interesting. They go back to biblical times. It was a great article. I wrote to the editor of the farm & ranch living asking for a link to that particular article and am awaiting a reply back. If I receive that I will post it.

Thanks.

6. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

There are a variety of on-line sites dealing with Lineback cattle, and some of them have breeders lists.

7. teddybear

teddybear Member

8. kingdomhick

kingdomhick New Member

Check out the Randalls at www.randall-linebacks.org !!!!!!
    These cows are perfect for the family herd.Gentle,heritage breed and have many natural instincts for easy raising that have been bred out of many current "breeds"

9. Patt

Patt Well-Known Member

It seems to me with such a very limited amount of these cows they are probably exorbitantly expensive? I can't find any for sale or any prices for them.

Patt

10. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good description of a Jersey!