WANTED ....Kudzu seeds (and all about Kudzu -angie)

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by UdderlySaanens, Mar 14, 2005.

1. UdderlySaanens

UdderlySaanens Member

I am wanting some Kudzu seeds. Anyone have any ?

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

3. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Kudzu seeds? That reminds me of a sign near a military school in NC, "free kudzu, all you can eat". Just go down south for some.

4. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

Not many to be found around here right now but I can get all you could want later this summer :)

5. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

Wow! We're usually trying to get rid of the stuff down here! Never heard of anyone who actually WANTED it....you do know that once it grows it becomes a civilization unto itself? :D

rickpaul likes this.
  6. Tater'sPa

:haha: If ya can't beat it, might as well join it.....We have made baskets from the vines, jelly from the blossoms & eaten the roots.
    It is kinda scary to see it take over like it does :eek:

Sumatra likes this.
  7. Tater'sPa

[/QUOTE]we've got a batch of wine, fermenting right now, and i'm trying to make some extract, for making candy.

8. vickiesmom

vickiesmom Well-Known Member

what on earth is a uidzu, and where does it grow...any pictures?we've got a batch of wine, fermenting right now, and i'm trying to make some extract, for making candy.

9. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

From everything I have read about kudzu, I would do a little research to see what you are getting into. I have friends in the south east that can't get rid of it now that it is growing all over. It has even killed trees by smother them out. It may even be on the noxious weed list in some states so I would also check that out.

Bobg

10. Tater'sPa

11. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

Kudzu is a vine that grows mainly in the southern US(?) I believe, and it shows NO mercy to anyone or anything. I believe it's a non-native plant and the only thing that will actually kill it are some type of asian beetle, but that's a no go as well because they also eat a lot of other things that we WANT to keep alive. At least that's what I've always been told.

Kudzu takes over hillsides and gulleys, billboards, pretty much anything within a 2 mile radius of it's roots! :D hehe You can't dig it up, you can't burn it, you can't kill it with weed killer. It's invincible. It's like posion ivy, but without the itch! :D

I've never heard of anyone actually making anything with it though. How VERY cool! :D

Here's a GREAT page with some kudu info and lots of pictures:
    http://www.jjanthony.com/kudzu/

12. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

IMHO, I'd think carefully before getting kudzu, while it may not be a nuisance to you, it will be very aggressive and outcompete your native plants. And your neighbors'!

Beaux

13. terriv

terriv Well-Known Member

Please do not bring Kudzu into an area where it isn't already. My particular county doesn't have a lot of it but other counties here in Mississippi are totally ruined by it. The land is useless, everything is dead, smothered, worthless. You can not kill it. You can not walk where it grows. It takes over hundred year old oaks, and power poles and lines, and hills and gullies. It will kill everything and make your property (and all your neighbor's property) worthless.

[​IMG]

Pretty from the road, but don't try to get out. Those vines are probably snarled 8 feet deep.

copperhead46 likes this.
  14. terriv

terriv Well-Known Member

ROFL at seeing this book on one of the linked websites. Yep, that's the next county over from me. Didn't know there was a book.

[​IMG]

15. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    You ARE kidding, right??? Nobody, but Nobody WANTS kudzu, also known as the "mile-a-minute" vine. That's because it grows a mile in a minute!!!! We had some in east Tn and dh sprayed it, burned it, dug it up, and started all over again the next spring, JUST to keep it from spreading further. It is to the earth, what mouse fleas were to the plagues. Your neighbors will never, ever, speak to you again, if they know you brought it there on purpose!!! So be forewarned!!!!

16. vickiesmom

vickiesmom Well-Known Member

Yikes...that is pretty scary stuff...and somebody wants this stuff? LOL

17. UdderlySaanens

UdderlySaanens Member

I don't want it myself because I don't want to get it started even though the protein content in it is GREAT for the goats. A friend of mine (Kenny) who owns about 22 acres wants to get some of it started on his place for his goats. I have told him of the damage Kudzu can cause but he don't think it will get that out of hand because the goats will eat it down.

18. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

On the way up to our land in NC,we pass entire areas COVERED(like in the pic above) with the stuff....

It dies back in Winter I guess but then comes back better than ever.

I wonder if you could doze the land down to bare earth and then pile the trash into a pile and burn it???

19. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

People down here would love to give away vines.
    It is such a problem. It is extremely invasive.I can give you all you want.

20. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

I don't think you could get down deep enough, and I dunno if you could even actually get INTO it, the stuff grows so deep. Perhaps you could blast it out with dynamite, and well maybe find an emerald or gold mine while you're at it! :D You know NC was home of the 1st gold rush in the US! ;) And there's an emerald mine not far from my house too!