Wanted, Dairy Goat farmer in CT that....

Discussion in 'Goats' started by americanbulldog, Apr 1, 2005.

1. americanbulldog

americanbulldog American Hunter

Hi,
    I am looking for a dairy goat farmer in CT that would be willing to have me come out for a day and help with all the chores required to care for goats. I would very much like to have the experience and learn from it. I would like to be able to take part in all the required tasks of the care of goats so that I might be able to do it myself someday. I would not be there to just relax and watch, I would like to help as much as YOU would feel comfortable with. I want to learn from experience, and from the knowledge of a working farmer.
    Please help.... books can only do so much. All I want is to do the work and ask some questions. :confused:
    Thanks,
    Jason

2. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Howdy...shame ya not in arkansas!...cause I could put ya to work lol....this weekend alone we are putting in new pens,giving shots,just had twins,hoof care,castrating a buckling and building a small shed..see ya couls have bottle fed and all...gosh where are the folks like yourself in arkansas? lol.....Dale Anne

3. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

americanbulldog-repost your request on goattalk on yahoogroups. There is not an overabundance of large goat farmers in CT compared to some other states-but there are a few on that group. (This is just my findings, anyway).
    If you get no response, contact cornell university-tatiana stanton-she can get you in contact with many, many NY breeders. Good Luck.

4. americanbulldog

americanbulldog American Hunter

I thought I might have gotten someone in CT that could help me learn and maybe I could help them get some chores done as well ....
    I tried looking at the yahoogroups and I am not sure it was even the right address/website. There didn't seem to be a lot going on there ... maybe it was the wrong address?
    Do you think some of the goat people are just private and don't want me bothering them? Or, maybe they just never saw the post?
    Does anyone know a way I could find out who the goat dairy people are so I could just call them? I certainly don't see them in the yellow pages :waa: .
    Thanks for the help!

5. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

I'm on both groups & didn't see your post (many are on digest mode, also). I can look back on some old e-mails & find an e-mail or two for some goat people who have larger farms-not sure if their dairy or not though. I got their e-mails from a brief correspondance two months ago regarding a goat show next Sat & I will have to really search for them. I'll e-mail you privately if I find them-tomorrow at the latest.

Ellie
    Don't take it to heart-it is kidding season & many are very, very busy.

6. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

was thinking that maybe you could look up the American Dairy Goat Association and find a breeders list or members list and look for your state.

Once I was looking for people who raised Kahtadin sheep and I went to the main website and found one of my parents neighbors had a large herd and was willing to breed my sheep to a few of her rams.

She was more than willing to take time to talk about things. I just had to find her.

Keep searching. Even might consider taking a Sunday drive and don't forget those back roads especially!

7. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

I sent you an im.
    Try also:
    goatfinder.com-you can sort the list by state
    Goatwebring@yahoo groups
    goattalk@yahoogroups
    Goat kingdom—dah goat man-not sure of the web address but a search should pull it up

Also the USDA website should have a listing for APHIS. Somewhere in there is a listing of goat breeders who are enrolled in the scrapies identification program-breeders would have a large herd if they are enrolled in the program. I think they are listed by state, too.

Ellie