Wanted "COW SALVE"

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by shadowwalker, Jun 17, 2005.

1. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

As a young lad growing up in colorado, in the 60's. We had two salesmen come by ever ywo months or so. One was the Watkins man, the other was the Rawlee man. The second had a product that was a yellow salve in a flat can. Does anyone sell this now? The watkins bunch bought out rawlee some time back. But watkins salve is not the same kind as rawlee. This is a very good all round salve for wounds, burns, infections, bites, skin irritations, my can is about 30 years old. The writing is all wore off.
    There is a better salve that was black in a flat can. But I can't remember the name of it. And the government had something to do with taking it off the market. Way back in time. I saw it stop blood poisioing, in my dad's arm. The red stripes were going up it to his heart. We couldn't get to a doctor because of snow blowed over road and no phone.
    I only know this salve by the name -cowsalve-
    I remember that you can use both salves on animals also, except cats. I can't remember why. Thanks, shadowwalker

2. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Would Bag Balm work? We can get it at feed stores. Mom used to put it on us for chapped cheeks in Wyoming, lol.

My Nana used to make her own salve. She just called it SALVE! I wish I knew how she used to make it!

hollym

3. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Are you talking about PetroCarbo salve?

http://www.watkinsonline.com/productDetail.cfm?product=1587

I think my family used it for every imaginable type of wound when I was a kid! The weird thing is I still use it, on myself, family and the critters. :haha:

Had a duck loose most of her neck skin to a raccoon attack. Well, she was my sweet pet duck so I had to give it a shot. Washed the area, applied PetroCarbo liberally and covered it with gauze and to keep the gauze on used hot pink horse wrap. She looked hilarious but you know, she survived with no infection and the area closed naturally over time.

Here's the link to the Raleigh salve:

http://www.herbalsunlimited.com/rawleigh_antiseptic_salve.htm

4. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I would also think that the closest you'll find is petrocarbo salve. It's also not quite the same as what I remember but as close as I can get and it does work the same way. I use it on pets, livestock and humans with great success. I keep thinking that the stuff my grandfather used was in a yellow can also and I can't say for sure if packaging changed or my memory isn't as great as I think it is. I always have trouble finding a dealer so I usually try and hit a trade fair or something and stock up, watkins also has a rub for sore muscles that I stock up on at the same time that works well on critters and humans, I don't know the name but it smells like wintergreen lifesavers.

5. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

You can find the Rawleigh's salve at http://www.herbalsunlimited.com/rawleigh_antiseptic_salve.htm
    It's really just carbolic acid in vaseline.

The black one you are talking about is probably ichthammol, often pronounced icthi-ol. Normally available now as ichthammol and glycerine (easier to spread). Horrible black messy smelly yucky stuff that works as a drawing ointment, or to help heal ulcers and open sores. REALLY works. Do a Google search. It's still available for veterinary and human use.

I've got both within a few feet of me - for personal use.

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Raleighs vetenary ointment, in the flat green screw off lid cans, I remember it well.

7. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Thanks all, Yes Don that's it!!!!! Also I found the black stuff under a new name. IT's called PRID funny name I'm trying to find out abot a site to get this now. The man that told me about it got it at Walmart about 2 1/2 years ago. If you never tried this stuff,it really is a asset to a medicine cabnet. Yelllow or black salve. Like I stated, my can is over 30 years old. It still works wonders, no special storage needed, mine has been froze in mountains hunting, and melted in the sun(when I poured the last of a can into this one) this last time I used it. It was on a bug bite that got infected on a neighbor kid. She couldn't even have her clothes touch it and puss leaking out. We got it on on a bandaid, she said it started hurting about 2 hours after it was on. Then she suddenly thought about it later, and it had quit hurting. That night she had her first full nights sleep in three days. Thanks again. shadowwalker

P.S. You all are makeing me very lazy. It's easier to tap into the knowledge of this group than work at trying to find it in my own limited ways.......