Want to pull blood samples myself

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Lazy Daze Farm, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Lazy Daze Farm

Lazy Daze Farm Active Member

I'd like to get my goats tested for CAE & CL, but I don't want to break the bank paying a vet to do it for me. I do have the vet scheduled to stop out in the end of April to show me how to pull a blood sample, just so I can actually see it done before I try it myself. What I am wondering is where does everyone get their supplies from? Like the red topped test tubes? I'm looking for the specific medical supply or vet supply business names or website addresses please. :help: Also, do I need to get the tubes with the additive already added or should I get some without? Where do you all suggest sending samples? I just need the tubes, syringe & needles and some cold packs, right? Anything else anyone can tell me about the process would be hugely appreciated. Or if anyone knows of any tricks to keep the costs down, please share! Vicki? You seem to know all the froogle nooks & crannies out there! I'm looking at getting about 30 goats tested, so trimming the cost down as much as possible would sure help the pocket book!

Thanks,
    Liz

2. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Liz; I'm wanting to do this very same thing. The first time I tested my buck - oh, it was horrible - poor good natured guy was a pin cushion. My husband finally got it right. After that experience, I had the vet out to test my nubians. Was shocked he only charged $3 per goat to draw, and tubes, etc. I sent it in myself. WSU pays shipping and bills you for the testing. This was for the CAE testing. I also need to get kids tested for G6S - and that goes to a different lab - and the thought of poking everyone twice! YIPES.....I might chicken out again and call the vet.

Haven't tested my nigie herd yet for CAE - but plan on testing everyone soon. For everything. Reading any replies about tubes with interest.
    niki

3. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I think we're going to send our samples to this place. They do CAE, CL, and Johnes. All ELISA test and reasonable prices. If we get any positives, we'll recheck those with another lab.
    http://www.pavlab.com/services/index.html

I got my supplies here:
    http://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/cgi-...ex.html?L+scstore+rhgx6298ff46b046+1144924931
    I got the monoject needles and the tubes. You want the ones without preservative in the. (Red topped.) You can also draw the blood in a regular syringe and inject it into the vacutainer.

The Pavlab site tells you how to prepare the samples for shipping. HTH.

4. Lazy Daze Farm

Lazy Daze Farm Active Member

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for! :rock:

Liz