Want to Live Old west Style?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kenneth in NC, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

http://groups.msn.com/bigsandyarizonaterritory

Want to live Old West Style? Here's your chance. Several people at other BB's I post on are buying 40 acres for $40,000 and building 1800's style homes. You are allowed some "inside" amenietes.

Kenneth in NC

2. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Wow! That looks interesting....just not sure I could put up with that desert landscape though, after all these years close enough to wooded areasLOL

3. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

$40,000 for 40 acres is high for that part of the state.

It's probably a loooooong way down to water for a well. Thousands of feet. I am not sure if a windmill would be viable or not, someone may be able to elaborate. No electric may mean no well. Which may mean no commerce, just a "play" ranch.

Forty acres isn't enough to feed one cow in that country.

It's also very windy and surprisingly cold (dry!) in winter and very hot in summer.

Lots of weird fundies and militia types in the area.

Leva

4. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

sure is, ihave spent time in that area, nothing but sand, the grass is in the early spring, and is dead lng before may. the local cattle people run their cattle way north , and often out of state, to get grass. Water, is way down deep. you can grow anything there, but you can't get the water for it. I got some relation that live there, and they like it, cause it is to hot for bugs, but they have snakes up the ba zoo.!!!!!!!!!!!they come out at night, and lay on the black top, and the locals, go out and run them over. that is a true story. plus, there is free range ,so cattle are not fenced any place in the state, now if you put up fence, cause your going to have some goats or what not, get ready for trouble.cows do have the right there, and if you hit one , you pay for it, but in that setting, don't thik you would have to worry about that.

5. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I didn't know they had the internet back in 1881.

They couldn't have picked a more barren place to rough it out. I'll bet the place will be a ghost town in less than 5 years. I've done the no water, no utilities lifestyle and it gets old.

6. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We used to live near Kingman. Hope you like it windy. We didn't mind. Property is certainly cheaper here in Willcox, the other end of the state. The winters aren't quite as severe and there is plenty of water although it is deep where we are located.

7. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

Hey we use to live in Willcox in the 70-80's.
    sure could get hot and windy there. Specially all that dust from the dry lake.

8. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Sounds like a rich persons hobby. They probably want to pay 1880s wages too. 1000$ an acre seems a bit steep but it probably weeds a few people out.

mikell

mikell

9. DAVID In Wisconsin

DAVID In Wisconsin Well-Known Member

10. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

From reading the site it is not necessarily a full time affair but a way for people to experience life as it was back then.

Quite interesting really although I would have preferred a little water.. :D

11. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

Probably part-time and seasonal. It gets HOT there in the summer, and occurred to me after my first post, no electric means no AC. Either you'll hear the discrete thrum of generators, or they'll move the town elsewhere for the summer season. (Which, at least, would be historically accurate.)

Did you catch where they said, 'Nobody knows how long/how to ..." on various things, like how long it takes to get places on horseback, or what to use for kindling? Basically implying that a lot of 1880's knowledge was 'lost' ... I know a few people (old cowboys, immigrants from rural areas of Mexico) who could probably answer those questions from first hand knowledge.

*snicker* For that matter ... how much 1880's tech and knowledge do you use on YOUR homestead? Sometimes the old ways are best ...

Leva

12. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

OK here is a partial of an email I got from KATE a lady whom plans on buying there this year.

The Scenery is that of a Combination of Ft. Sumner, NM in Desolation, and Ruidoso, Lincoln, and Santa Fe, NM in Scenic Looks.
    Kingman, AZ is the Closest town, and there are many of the Modern Services available with the Exception of Electricity.
    I have chosen for Fire Protection, Desert Landscaping and a 5,000 Gal. Water Tank, a Propane Tank and a Generator for Electricity, Heating/Cooling, Water Heating, and such.
    I have chosen Cellular Telephone for Phone Service, and Sattelite for Television and Computer Services.
    Also for Phone Service, I have Chosen the Party Line System for communicating into the main Town of Big Sandy.
    Fire Insurance can be purchased through the Farm Bureau, and Regular Homeowner's Insurance can be Purchased through a Regular Insurer.
    Free Range Cattle wander throughout the Property, and Deer are frequently seen.
    It does occassionally snow, but mostly, they get rain for the Majority of Precipitation.
    A Wash flows to one Boundary of the Property I wish to purchase; so for my Garden, I will have little trouble Irrigating my Garden.
    For water usage, I will be drilling a Well and for Septic, a Septic system will be dug and installed.
    We are allowed to Park an R.V. on the Property for a Maximum of one year, while the Hacienda is being built.

That's more than I knew before she wrote me.

DW has added this as a possible stop on our trip this summer :eek: Hope the A/C is COOOLLLLD in the truck. :haha:

Kenneth

13. tooltime

tooltime Border Ruffian

Generator, propane tank and RV. Yep, that sounds like Old West living.

14. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

I second all of the above comments about the location. What a neat concept, though. I bet if some imaginative person were to put together something similar in a more viable locale, a bunch of folks from this forum would jump at it. I wonder if the 1800s rules for courtship would apply. Might be a nice change.

15. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

PcDreams, tell me more about your days in Willcox. It does get hot and windy but cools off at night in Kingman too. Better than in the south and the humidity. You do need air about 3 pm in the afternoon as it is hot but the nights are good for sleeping. We don't get snow often here either. At least Blake Ranch area has some trees. We have mesquites here and have planted pines and fruit trees.

16. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

Use to live in Barstow, Ca. which is a very very hot jaunt across the Mojave to the place mentioned and I wouldn't give 5 grand for forty acres of sand in a place that even a lizard has a hard time. I wonder what "amenities" are allowed? Swampcooler would be a MUST.