Want to get goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by RockyRooster, May 21, 2006.

1. RockyRooster

RockyRooster Well-Known Member

Okay am very interested in getting one or two goats. But, I am just overwhelmed at all the problems posted on this forum about them. So, can someone please give me a percentage of the pros and cons before I decide to go this route? Thank you in advance. :shrug:

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Well on a forum you are going to get questions about problems & not much else. For the most part if taken care of properly, goats are very easy keepers & are a joy to have. I had Pygmies & plan on getting some again. If you are wanting them just for pets than you can not go wrong with them. They are so darn cute as babies & eat a lot less than the big breeds. What are you wanting goats for? Pets or milk?

3. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

We have 7 goats--2 dams and 5 new babies. They are Lamancha. Good milk, fairly calm, easy milkers. We built a goat shed and a large yard for the dams when they arrived pregnant, and once the babies were born we added a large eletrical fence off to the side for daily play and browsing/grazing. We milk twice a day, and have had no problems with that once we learned what worked and didn't.

Why we did it: milk, milk and milk. And we had fun delivering the babies!

Problems: wet mucky weather makes goat tending a pain but on a nice day, all is well. Mucking out the goat shed every few months is NOT pleasant...and I have 3 children and a strong husband that helps and we are all a little sore later. Finding good hay (alfalfa or a good mix) can be a challane in April, as we learned!

Would I do it again: yes. We plan to sell one or two of what we have and breed two that we keep and add another in from another herd in mid-2007.

Vanessa

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

for pygmy goats, you can see my website which has to do with my unregistered pygmies. www.freewebs.com/mygoats/ Especially check out the links at the bottom of the home page and the two informational pages. I also do email correspondance and have helped two other people with getting thier first goats, both are now friends, and one I still send emails daily to. Been talking since fall/winter I think.

5. cowgirlracer

cowgirlracer Well-Known Member

Wyoming & building a homestead in Kentucky
    RR - check the barter board, there is someone selling their pygmy goat herd (5) in Alabama. May be worth checking into.

Anne
    Cowgirlracer

Just went back to Barter Board and there are also some fs in NY state.

6. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

7. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

RockyRooster, here is a site with tons of goat husbandry tips:

http://fiascofarm.com click on "site map" and scroll away

Most folks who have goats think of them as pets, rather than just livestock, hence the obcession with their "problems". We are just so darn attached. They are very satisfying to own and very addictive. In general, once a goat owner, always a goat owner!

8. joken

joken Well-Known Member

I have a GM diesel pick-up and have had zero problems. When I read the GM diesel forum it almost makes me afraid to use it for fear it will break down. Get a couple of goats and be happy. Ken

9. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

If you want to have milk...get a standard breed (I'm partial to Nubian and nubian crosses). Get a "used" milker (or two) so that you dont get discouraged with naughty milking manners :) You might be able to get a pygmy or Boer buck to add meat/size if you want that too.

Bigger goats are easier to milk and give birth easier usually.

What are your goals with the goats? Mine are primarily for milk because the milk can be fed to a bottle calf or pig for freezer meat...for us feeding the milk to "other" animals produces more meat&faster than "growing" goats for meat.

10. lacesout

lacesout Well-Known Member

Whether the goats are "worth the maintenance and cost" is a question that is difficult to answer. They are to me because I really enjoy them. I like experimenting with feed mixes to get the nicest coats and optimum health. I love watching them play and having them follow me everywhere like big dogs. My goats do not bring in $$ so do not pay for themselves, they are a luxury but to me they are worth it.

11. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I want to add, don't get one goat, get at least two. they are herd animals and will be very sad and depressed without another of their kind. I would recommend getting two does. That way, in the future, you can breed them. Most of us end up doing that, we get really into this, you probably will too. The larger breeds do give birth easier. I like LaManchas as they are very docile and are quieter than any other breed I have owned. Don't buy the first goats you see without checking out a few. They are all cute. Don't get any with horns. They get caught in fences and cause trouble and heart-ache. I have had goats caught in fences for hours before I have found them, it's aweful. A goat with horns can not defend itself any better against dogs than one without. Keep asking questions, you are here to learn!

12. cjb

cjb Well-Known Member Supporter

We have three dairy goats (oberhaslis/nubian) that I brought home one day because they were going to be sold for meat and they were cute - that's it. Actually, two I brought home, the other was born in our barn last year.

So, we got goats on a fluke and, out of the dog, cats, ducks, geese and horses - I always say that the goats are my favorite animals.

As long as you feed them well, trim their hooves etc - take car eof their basic needs, they are much easier then any other farm animal that I can see. I do prefer the larger breeds, from what I've seen, but I think that's preference and depends on what you want. Nigerian Dwarfs are stink'n cute too and I think that will be my next goat purchase :)

good luck

13. cjb

cjb Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh EQUALLY important as getting more then one: get good fencing. Goats that get out often are a pain in the keister and the #1 reason I hear from people about getting OUT of goats. They eat everything, stand on top of your car etc. Not pleasant.
    cliff

14. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

If you have a good sense of humor, you'll be fine with goats! They are much smarter than your dog, more mischievious than children, and a joy to be around. With any living thing, there are health challenges now and again, but good husbandry will keep those to a minimum. Our biggest "issue" - the goats always prefer to be on the "other side of the fence". It doesn't matter which side of the fence they are on, or what is on either side, they always need to be on the other side, and the battle rages on to keep them on the side we put them on!

15. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

For someone new to goats I'd advice getting a couple of adults. If just for pets wethers would be the way to go. Most adults if well cared for and given a good basic diet are pretty easy keepers and don't have lot of health problems. I started with two and now have a herd of about 14. You could never get me to part with them. If I never bred or sold or showed a goat, I would be perfectly content to just have them as pets. They bring me so much enjoyment.