Want to be Alone

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, May 26, 2004.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

How many are like me don't care about neighbors.I have 10 acres next to me someone else owns,everytime I turn around I'm telling my wife I wish I had that 10 acres,so people won't be too close.

She says I'm silly,the closes anyone can get is 150 feet.They haven't even been to look at the property in ten years.

I don't know I still wish I could buy this place just to have a little more buffer.

big rockpile

2. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

You're not alone. I am usually wishing I could buy the land around me for a buffer. There are only 3 other houses on the section I live on, and they are all on the far side from me, but this year we found out that the quarter across the road is to be developed. I wanted to buy the corner 10 acres across form me for a buffer, but they want $6500/acre. Too rich for me. My nearest neighbor who has horses put it well. He said, "We don't want all the land, just the land that touches ours. ;)

3. Kirk

Kirk Well-Known Member

Rockpile,
    I know the feeling, My little 7.5 acres sits where I may never have any Neighbors (living ones). the cemetary and township park are two sides of my property and the third side is an 80 acre parcel which sits inside the village limits. The 80 is owned by a christmas tree farm and they have let it get overgrown. It is not likely to be developed in the near future. even if it is I have 200' of my property between my house and that property. Still I would love to buy that 80 just to be on the safe side.
    Kirk

4. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

YES YES YES.... my Missouri place is 10 miles out of town, and the house is in the middle of 40 acres.

Here, I live on a farm to market road just out of town. LOTS of traffic. I have bought five houses to fix and rent on my road, so at least I get to pick my neighbors.

5. rootsandwings

rootsandwings Well-Known Member Supporter

150 ft is too close!

we used to have 2 acres almost at the end of a gravel road.

guy bought the two acres at the end and put in a giant suburb house, chemlawn with lollipop trees, huge floodlit garage and big patio for parties - about 150 ft from the glass side of our passive solar house.

after two years of misery we sold to a nice young couple who are happy to have so much land in the suburbs and moved to a house in the center of 28 acres. the house is much smaller and after a year still needs a lot of work, but there are trees between me and the road plus tree line on every side and a corn field behind me.

and still I'm thinking about what to do if they ever develop the corn field. (put the goats and chickens at the back property line so the new suburbanites will establish a buffer zone for me?)

6. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Well if they havent visited in ten years they might want to sell. Call the county clerk and find out who owns it and the address for the tax bill and write them a letter and make an offer. Cant hurt to ask.

7. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I love being ALONE in our woods-------I hate the sound of a vehicle in our driveway more than I hate the sound of the phone ringing!

We have a 400 foot long, curving driveway.......with lots of teees between the house and road.

When the neighbors decided to build---out of ALL their 80 plus acres.....WHY did they have to pick the spot right acrross from our driveway?!

Thankfully they are very nice people who also prefer a QUIET, private life.

They clain they will not be selling any of their land during their life time------so that should keep our woods quiet for the remainder of our life span, also.

8. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

thats why i drove solo over the road and not team, thatway no bs from anybody.

9. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I figure in the center of a one square mile plot would be almost enough.

ah... dreams.

10. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

We have 90 acres, and our house is in the middle, and our driveway is 1/4 mile long, and I don't think it's quite private enough. If I walk out past the yard into the pasture, I can our neighbors on the north and south sides through the trees. That's too close for me! LOL They both built their houses right on our property lines. Personally, I'd rather not be able to see or hear anyone! Oh well, that much land is out of reach :)

11. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

We are very lucky, we have a larger spread, (37 , with an option on 66 more)
    and have no close neighbors, but i straddle the line on this one, i like our semi isolation, we have the space we want and not too many neighbors, but im also a construction company owner, and we have been talking about buying 18 acres down the road from us to put up 5-10 houses on as a developer, i realize we stand to make a ton of money on this venture, but as a property owner, im not so sure i want that many new neighbors, then the next thing you know we will be getting letters complaining about the animal "smell"
    dont laugh , ths happened to a friend opf mine who has 20 acres on the edge of town , bordering school property, the school district is starting a petitioon because of the "oder" of her farm , disturbing fans at football games..... nevermind the school was put up there 3 years ago and linda has had her farm for 15.... they still want to force her to "do something"

personally, if your neighbors havent been to the land , make an offer to purchase, what harm can it do ?
    its worth a try, i would want more too, if i only had 10 ac.
    of course my 100 acres only add up to 10 acres, of "good" land, but were working on clearing more all the time ( this fall northern ark. is going to ring with the sound of chainsaws !)

our next closest land owner has 550 acres, man if it ever comes up , i know we are gonna try and buy at leaset some of it !it borders our property, and i look at it and i would love to own it , but for now we have the next best thing , which is permission to ride and hunt on it .....

B

12. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

We have 113 acres but the log cabin sets nearer to the road than I would like. We do have a neighbor across the road, but they are wonderful people...there's no way anyone can get too close on either side of the house or barn tho.

I like being alone too, Big Rockpile.

Stacy in NY

13. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

I know exactly what you mean. We bought 17.5 acres w/pond 2 yrs ago at the end of our dead end road. We have 15 acres where our house is and there's 2.5 acres seperating these 2 holdings that we need to look in to.
    We'd buy up the whole road if we had the money and could talk the owners into it. Like you we prefer not to have too many neighbors either, that's why we moved where we are. The guy across from us is a loner and prefers his privacy too, we only see him occasionally, although we're friends with him.
    I actually rejoiced when the 2 couples living at the end of our road moved out - one had sons that were dealing drugs and stealing, the other had a brother who was a thief.
    That's actually how we ended up with the 17.5 - one young couple couldn't make their payments and finally got evicted.

I say, if you have the chance and the money, go for it. Land is an investment and will only go up in value, even if you never use it! :)

14. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I have lived here since 1997 and only one neighbor has set foot inside my home and that was in 1998 when I contracted him to replace a water heater and flooring in the hall and bathroom/laundry room. While I am cordial to my neighbors on the street, I do not wish them to invade the privacy of my home. I purchase acreage adjoining my property boundaries when ever possible just to add to the overgrowth barrier shielding my in use 2 acres from close proximity to any neighbors.

15. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Ha! What a wonderful, true quote! That's the problem with buying more land to make a buffer! You always have 4 boundaries that need to be "protected" - no matter how far away they you move them...

Meet your needs and count your blessings. Land baron-itis is like cancer.
    Property taxes are like cancer, too, for that matter!!:D

16. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I feel the same.

We have exactly 10 acres. We attempted to buy an adjoining 4 acres but it would have cost an arm & 2 legs. Well, city folk bought it, built a house, moved out, second family moved in and lasted 1 year, now the third family is in there. All this within 10 years time! We've planted evergreens along the property line, but they're not growing fast enough to cover that house.

Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above, don't fence me in!

17. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member Supporter

And its worth every red cent to be free of social minded twits. :)

18. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

We have 47 acres (and change) but the lay of the land gives us a fair amount of privacy. First we bought 21 acres and we were happy with that amount of land (although DW really wanted one of the small lakes on adjacent parcels).

One of our neighbors decided he was going to sell the back half of his property. the only problem with his plan (from our perspective) was that he was going to put in a drive all along our property line and build a house before selling it. It had a small lake and several springs so we worked out a deal to buy it....another 21 acres. More recently we bought a small 5 acre parcel that insets into our property. We've had real problems with the past several owners so when the most recent one decided to sell we decided to buy. We were planning on building a barn so after figuring it out, it made sense to buy the property with 3 barns on it.

We are happy with the amount of property we have but if we have the chance to pick up more at a reasonable price without stretching ourselves we will. With 13 neighbors I'm assuming we will have opportunities somewhere down the road.

For example, there are 6 long and narrow (200x1000 feet roughly) parcels (some with houses) that touch our North property line. One of these would give us better access to our North pasture and make it easier if we ever decided to sell in the future (we only have 185 feet of frontage currently).

We don't mind neighbors but we do like our privacy. Fortunately our property forms a bowl and for the most part we control up and over the lip.

Mike

19. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes!! We own 80+ acres and lease 68more. The house will be 1/2 mile off the main road and the closest house (dh's elderly aunt) will be 1mile. If I had a million dollars I would buy all the land around us and build right in the middle.. I am just tried of the hustle and bustle of the rat race....

20. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

Really, I don't dislike people in general. I just wish they wouldn't move out to the country and try to bring the city with them. The land being developed across from us is expensive, and that means people with lots of money will move there. There a re covenants that will restrict their building and living, and then they will be mad at me for keeping pigs and goats and such. It would be fine if they wanted to move out here and raise some animals, or have a garden or such. Oh,well, just my rant.