Want some fast growing trees!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by allenslabs, May 29, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

I am wanting some fast growing trees to plant in with the normal slow growers to make a wooded area in my pasture.... any ideas? Thanks!

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Cedars, Sweet Gums, Willows, Mimosa all come to mind.

3. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Paulownia is the fastest growing tree I know of. I'm not sure if they'll grow as far north as you are. Check out www.worldpaulownia.com.

4. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We have Elderica pines. They are really nice.

5. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

A hybrid poplar is your best bet for Indiana, but they don't have a long life span, maybe 30 years or so.

6. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

Those Austrees are fast growers! They are hybrid from willow and elm. 60' tall at maturity, and supposed to live a long time. I had some planted at the old place, but moved before they got real big. You might try them!

7. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

Here in Colorado, where we must water any tree to get started...poplars, cottonwoods and elms grow pretty fast.

8. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Tulip poplars, sweet gums, around here.

I don't know if you are looking for natives, or exotics. Careful with things like mimosa and paulownia; both can be highly invasive...although both are beautiful. My husband likes the look of the mimosa. I shudder at any invasive, since I'm an ecologist. We ended up compromising a bit. I let him plant them in cages in the middle of the goat pasture. Most of the seedlings will come up in the pasture, where the goats will make short work of them. And they are a high protein legume, so are good for the goats. I'll just have to keep an eye out for escapees!

Good luck,
    Meg