Want Jersey or Guernsey cow

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Monty507, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Monty507

Monty507 Member

Found a cow, yippee!!
    Thanks everyone.
    Monty

2. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Hey,

Where do you live?

3. Monty507

Monty507 Member

deleting some unnecessary replies.

4. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Are you aware that Montana is about 700 miles E to W and 400 N to S?

I am trying to help you out here. I see you have Blackfoot as an ISP, that means you are in the same part of the state as I. I am in Trout Creek.

5. Monty507

Monty507 Member

[Another delete, thanks

6. opus

opus Well-Known Member

7. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

Wow, I thought you were looking for help. Now your just running everyone off. :eek:

8. Monty507

Monty507 Member

I definitely am not trying to run anyone off, but I'm not playing games here. I sincerely am looking for a jersey. Opus never ever indicated that he/she had any, only was interested in finding out where I lived, which has nothing to do with the situation.

9. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

:no: :no: :no:

10. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Did it ever occur that he might know where several jersey cows are in different parts of the state? By giving him an idea where you live you might help him direct you to one near you. I would be hard pressed to offer you any info after your responses.

11. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

It has everything to do with the situation if OPUS has a list of dairy animals for sale statewide.

Before running everyone within a 1000 mile radius off, read some of the other posts in the various forums. You will see the very same response to that question with answers alot less, well, RUDE. They look like "Oh, I live in Glendive, MT. How about you?"

And yes, you ran everyone off.

Try again, be socialable and see what kind of luck you have.

12. Maranman

Maranman Well-Known Member

Sounds like Opus was just trying to help to me.You ask about a milk cow in or around Montana,good grief,if you don't need help then don't ask!! It would have helped to know where you were at to locate the cow, not bring it home for ya.

13. spring77

spring77 Well-Known Member

I think it is perfectly legitimate for Monty to not want to reveal her location. I do think it could have been done with a lot more tact. instead of saying ...

She could have said "Opus, I'm not comfortable giving out my location online, I'd appreciate any info you have on cows available, I am willing to do a lot of travelling to get them." I'm making an assumption here but she has posted about cows in other states and just living in Montana means you're used to travelling to get stuff. Wording like that would have been a lot less deliberately confrontational, it seems Monty automatically assumed that Opus was trying to scam her or something.

14. Monty507

Monty507 Member

Well, after seeing the can of worms that I opened, I must offer all an apology for my rudeness. Yes, I am overly cautious about giving out my exact location, because there are a lot of strange people out there. (You probably think I'm one of them) And I guess I thought it was not relevent to the subject since I planned on taking care of transport myself. At any rate, please forgive me for being so tactless!

15. billooo2

billooo2 Well-Known Member Supporter

you can check the web sites of the American Jersey Cattle assoc. and the american guernsey cattle assoc. The Jersey site actually lists some farms in Idaho, South Dakota, and Nebraska. If you call the guernsey club, I am sure they would be glad to give you names of members. Another possibility might be to contact the local extension office....and ask them if they know of anyone that has Jerseys or Guernseys.

16. Monty507

Monty507 Member

Thank you for that tip. I have been into their websites, and the cattle that the members offer, or the sales consist of are usually very well bred and very expensive animals. I am looking for an animal that does not necessarily have to have registration papers and to keep the price down. Thanks

17. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

Yes, most of the breeders listed in the Jersey Directory have registered cattle that may be too expensive for what you have in mind; but all herds with at least 80 head also have a running list of older cows that are still viable but too old for their operation. They will sell these animals privately at reduced rates. It is your best source for reputable animals that are already broke in and that may have just freshened.

Please call those near you and find out.

18. Monty507

Monty507 Member

I appreciate your input. I have seen the Jersey Directory and have been in contact with several dairy farms in the western states via e-mail and phone, but I have not talked to them about older cows. But I'm sure they would rather see them go to families that could use the milk and butter (even for a short time) other than go to the slaughter house earlier than need be!
    It just seems as though there are not a lot of dairy animals available in Mt., everyone's raising beef. I have changed my thinking to getting a
    heifer calf, jersey OR guernsey, even newborn, if anyone has one available. Thanks.

19. Jim in MO

Jim in MO Well-Known Member

Monty;

How far are you willing to travel?

Jim in MO

20. Monty507

Monty507 Member

I would hesitate to go much further than the states bordering Montana, because the fuel costs would be prohibitive. I think that Missouri would be too far, if that is where you are. Then too, it would depend on the cost of the animal.