Want a laugh? my senators reply to nais

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by spam4einstein, May 17, 2006.

1. spam4einstein

spam4einstein Well-Known Member

Saxby Chambliss, senator from GA sent this reply to my letter about NAIS. My letter is posted below. Whats wrong here?

Thank you for contacting me regarding your interest in the horse
    slaughter amendment offered within the Agriculture, Rural Development,
    Food
    and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2006
    (Act). I appreciate hearing from you.

As you know, the Act was signed into law by President Bush on
    November 10, 2005. Included in the Act is a provision which prohibits
    the use
    of federal funds in the shipping, transporting, moving, delivering,
    receiving,
    possessing, purchasing, selling, or donation of horses and other
    equines to be
    slaughtered for human consumption.

I was supportive of this action as I do not believe that
    taxpayer dollars
    should be used to pay for services the American public does not
    support.

If I can ever be of assistance in the future, please do not
    hesitate to
    contact me.

Sincerely,

Saxby Chambliss
    United States Senate

I am writing in about something I found on the U.S.D.A.'s proposed N.A.I.S. (national animal identification system). The program is the brainchild of the USDA and large agribusiness. Language quoted from the Draft Strategic Plan proves this, "APHIS then established the National Identification Development Team (NIDT), a joint, State, Federal, and industry group to further advance this effort. Throughout 2003, the NIDT, consisting of approximately 100 animal and livestock industry professionals representing more than 70 associations, organizations, and government agencies, expanded upon the work plan to produce the initial draft of the U.S. Animal Identification Plan (USAIP)." (Plan, p. 4)
    This group of 100 is made up of only large agribusiness and universities. The disturbing fact that average citizens, small scale producers and pet owners or parties representing them were not included in the process is quite troubling. The USDA accepted the recommendations of the agribusiness and came up with the proposed N.A.I.S.

The NAIS will force all animal owners (with the exception of dogs, cats, and perhaps goldfish) to register their location with the government. This includes anyone who owns a horse, chicken, goat Etc. Owners will have to keep records of every birth, death, and movement of the animal/s outside the registered location. In plain English this means that if a horse owner wants to go on a trail ride. he has to let the government know. If a pet pot bellied pig goes to the vet, the government will have to be told. I think you get the idea. Not only is this an invasion of privacy, but also hurt small scale animal farming and push already struggling producers out of business.
    This tracking system is designed to trace the movements of livestock in case of disease. The end goal is to make the food chain safer. The very nature of large agribusiness practices such as feedlots and huge poultry houses create some concern for spread of disease. It very well may be that most of these proposed measures are a good thing for the corporations that designed them, but they will be catastrophic for independent animal owners and small farms.
    Listed below is an outline of my concerns as a concerned citizen.

1) Small farms will have an additional expense of "tagging" their animals cumbersome paperwork. This will lead to the loss of more family farms.

2) Many animal owners will opt to not own animals to prevent this intrusion. Not only would small farm operators be negatively affected by the NAIS, but this legislation will do serious damage to feed store owners, farm supply houses, hatcheries that sell and ship day-old poultry, and other businesses frequented by farmers and pet owners.

3) NAIS represents a serious right to privacy and rights. Individuals needing government permission to own livestock is un-constructional. Also no guarantee to privacy is allotted.

4) Our livestock would become part of the "national herd." (Plan, p. 8)

5) We will be required to report to the national animal records repository when an animal we own attends a livestock show, participates in a trail ride, is transported to another farm or vet, or takes part in a community parade, 4-H etc.

6) This plan will create a veritable monopoly by corporate agriculture and thereby seriously endanger our national economy and our food supply. It’s difficult enough to try to make a living wage in agriculture now, this plan will make that nearly impossible.

7) Many endangered breeds of livestock will become extinct. Most keepers of these animals are hobbyists, many will give up this hobby faced with these unreasonable policies.

8) The projected estimate for implementation of this plan is 33 billion dollars. That doesn’t include the costs to maintain it once it’s begun. That is $115.78 for every single man, woman and child in the US. These costs will be passed on to the consumer.

9)NAIS is a violation of the religious freedoms of Americans whose beliefs make it impossible for them to comply. For example, the Amish choose to farm and live without technology according to their beliefs and this system is a threat to their way of life.

10) NAIS should not be at all involved with people who are raising livestock for their own family consumption. There is no need to have any government involved in our own kitchens and food that we raise in our own backyards. I see raising food for our families as a basic human right that should not be interfered with by government.

I am concerned that the national animal ID system is too invasive into the lives of ordinary citizens who are not large-scale producers of animals for food, but who farm on a small scale or have one or two animals as pets. Please help save mine and your rights to keep the food chain safe, diversified, and free. This policy was clearly written with only the large producer in mind and a five minute reading of the proposal that is slated to become LAW will reveal a disgusting disregard for millions of Americans who own pets or small farms. An exception needs to be in place for small producers or owners. Can you imaging the uproar if all dog owners had to get permission from the federal government. I would like to know your position on this issue.

2. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Grandfatherbear sent Nixon a birthday card during his administration and receieved a form letter thanking him for supporting Nixon's position expanding the war into Cambodia....

3. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Uh... okay... that was kind of surreal, actually. :)

Imagine the letter that the guy who wrote in about horse meat got ROFL!

Tracy

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

As a farmer..... That is about as much as many folks understand about farming. Sigh.

Probably the intern got his/her paperwork or issues mixed up.

--->Paul

5. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd resend the letter and the response you received and ask if this is representative of his representation. Sometimes our reps have to tell us "no" or that they disagree with our position on an issue, but they should be responsive. We let them get off too easy, and that should be shame on us when we do. (And this is not a Republican/Democrat issue, but is indicative of the current crop in Congress...regardless of the flavor.)

6. spam4einstein

spam4einstein Well-Known Member

I did re-send it pointing out their error.

7. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Pretty sad,next time give 40,000 in bribe money,I mean campaign contibutions,and see what reply you get.

BooBoo

8. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

He's a toady who does what he is told to do. If I ever become independently wealthy and can travel to campaign against those of his ilk, I will. I found it appalling that he was part of a smear campaign against a disabled US veteran. Evidently Saxby is disabled too - mentally given his response.

9. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

Sounds like he needs a class in reading comprehension!

10. LagoVistaFarm

LagoVistaFarm Well-Known Member

I wrote a short queston to our Senator about a month ago. I asked her position on NAIS. I got back a letter thanking me for my input. I'm going to respond to the next mailer giving me the opportunity to donate to her cause.

11. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

LOL, you're not the only one this has happened to! Well, I guess that really shouldn't be laughable, should it?

12. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

Hey Spam, do you mind if we send your letter to our people as well?