Wanna see some baby pics?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by tbishop, Sep 25, 2006.

1. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

I uploaded a few pics of one of my velveteen kits to get opinions on color and thought you guys might like to see it too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's one of 13 babies here. EVeryone have a good week!

Tim B.

2. doodlemom

doodlemom Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing!

3. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

You are lucky to have a doe that won't rip the babies apart for touching them so soon after birth. Thirteen is a lot of babies...they might be a bit long to grow up, or you might lose some to hunger, I did, once with a litter of sixteen, and once with eighteen....I always have found that eight is a good number to fatten quickly.

By the way...did you put the doe in with the buck twice? Once and then again after twenty four hours had passed? Each time that I do that, I get too many babies.

4. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

This may be true with "wild" rabbits (e.g., cottontails & Jack Rabbits), but not for domestic rabbits. If one isn't sure about it, just pet the doe to get her "smell" on your hands before handling the kits. I've never had a domestic rabbit kill the young just because I touched the babies. And no... not all my does were "tame," either. With a herd of 700, it's pretty impossible to tame each and every one.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee

5. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

I have...three times. Twice with minis and once with a New Zealand doe. With one of the minis, I only opened the hutch to put in some clean straw, and didn't touch the corner where she was putting fur. I've learned my lesson, I can tell you.

6. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Well, some lines are different I guess. I raise Californians and Creme d'Argents, and have never had a problem with the does chewing up thier young after I have handled them...if you're worried, you can always remove the nest box and probe with a blunt stick though.

7. tbishop

Well, I have been raising rabbits since 2000 and have never had a doe kill a litter because I touched it. I've heard others say something similar, but I've never had a problem. As a matter of fact, I would have lost a litter or two this time because in each litter, there was one that didn't make it, and it seemed the dead was was drawing heat away from the unfurred survivors. I had to rescusitate one.

And I've been unclear- I apologize. That's 13 out of 5 litters, with 7 in the freezer. So a total of 20 kindled, which isn't too bad, since two of the does were mini rexes and one was a netherland dwarf. I am breeding multiple times in a day because this time, the ones I only bred once only had 1 to 3 kits. I prefer at least six. Seems like it makes it more worth my time and holds to the original purpose of the rabbits.

Tim B.

8. tbishop

What do you folks think of that ear length? the mom is a mini rex- the dad is an english lop. I for one am rather impressed with how long the ears are so far. We'll see as she gets older. The mini lop kits aren't nearly that long.

9. tbishop

Wow Pat- do you still have that many rabbits? I can't imagine running such a program. Any pictures anywhere?

Tim B.

10. Burbsteader

Burbsteader Well-Known Member

I never lost a baby to handling either. I was around my does a lot and had my hands in the cage regularly and would talk to them all the time.

But then the does were always eager to see me after the birth because I always brought special little treats.
    In the winter it was warm acorn squash with butter and brown sugar.
    Once they smelled that it was more like, babies? what babies? :p

11. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry, Tim, but no... I'm supposedly "retired," now. Or would that be "tired and RE-tired?" LOL Never got to take any photos, either, 'cause I was always the one to take photos and I just didn't have the time for it. I was catering to the pet, show, meat and laboratory markets, plus I was also an Independent Processor and did my own marketing and deliveries.

Hey, burbsteader! That's my favorite squash and favorite way of fixing it, too! Wow... lucky does! Sometimes, we add a few red hot candies to the brown sugar & butter, too, but I wouldn't recommend the candies for the rabbits. Duh! :D

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee

12. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

Cute bunny! I love baby bunnies, especially when they get a little older and they just start coming out of the nest box.
    Is that a little Sable Point?