Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They don't hurt my tummy. At all. No pain, gas, etc, etc,etc. I've always loved oats, but had to use them cautiously because of tummy trouble. I've always used the rolled oats from the store tho. The whole oats taste a LOT better too. Much more flavor.

Just thought I'd share. ;)

·
Sighin' in the city . . .
126 Posts
Nice discovery!

Once oats are sliced, they become rancid pretty quickly. Maybe it's the rancidity that's been a problem for your tummy rather than the oats themselves.

Also, whole oat groats retain more of the nutritive value.

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rachel, oats are gluten free, but usually are on the no list for celiacs because some oats in this country may have wheat mixed with them. I did give Bethany a small amount of these and she doesn't seem to be having trouble with them. She has been on the Celiac diet pretty solid the past 3 yrs. Before that, she was in school and they were always slipping up and giving her things not on her diet.

I didn't see any wheat in the batch of oats I cooked up and looked pretty closely.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I know they are....

I should have said "Are they certified to be free of cross contamination?"

Oats labeled GF are pretty darn expensive! The rest seem to have some minute CC, at least from what I have read. Havent wanted to risk trying them out on my son, he's sick enough without that!

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rachel, I would not try anything that is at all iffy on your son till he is much improved. You wouldn't even be able to really tell if it was problematic for him since he is already sick. Some things may even be hard for him to digest now, but will be ok once his colon is healed. Sure hope he improves soon.

I think at least part of why these don't hurt my stomach is that the more food is processed, the more likely it is to be contaminated with chemicals, bacteria, rodent droppings, insect parts, etc, etc, etc.

The whole oats make the rolled oats taste like cardboard.

A

·
0 Posts
We use the thick rolled oats and steel cut oats. For a pot of oatmeal for breakfast I much prefer the steel cut oats.

.....Alan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts