Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been to the Walton's Mountain Museum in Schuyler, VA? My mom and I will be in that part of VA in a few days and I was wondering if this museum is worth seeing. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Oh, that sounds like someplace I'd like to visit. I love the Walton's. I DVR it everyday and watch it in the evening after work.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My wife an I were there this spring. It is in the old school and they have former classrooms set up like rooms from the house in the TV series. There are a lot of pictures on the walls, and other interesting facts about the show. The former Hamner home was being remodeled and was not open. Seeing the small community with the church across the street, the stone mill down the road, gave me a much better perspective of Hamner's life which led to the books. We enjoyed it for the peace, quiet and the reflections on the place and time that the series portrays.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I didn't know about the books either. Love the show though. I'm not one for watching things a second time around, but I could watch repeats of the Waltons all day long all year long. Never tire of them. I'm hoping to learn more here about the museum and the books.

·
Premium Member
9,544 Posts
The TV series came from his book "Homecoming; a novel about Spencers Mountain".

He has authored many books and many don't realize that he also wrote the majority of the Twilight Zone scripts.

Just go Amazon and under a book search, type in -- Earl Hamner. He also has a book about the making of the Waltons. I think it's called, "Good Night John Boy" or something like that.

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
I loved the Waltons and watched every episode when it was on. years later it was on reruns, and even hubby didn't mind watching it every night after dinner. I think I've seen every episode a dozen times. (I secretly loved John Boy wayyyyyy back then) lol

yep...also faithfully watched Little House on the Prairie. wouldn't mind those in rerun. :)

(I also didn't know about the books!)

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Another book was "Spencer's Mountain."

It was made into a movie in the 60's? Henry Fonda played Daddy and Maureen O'Hara played Momma and James...(crap forgot his last name. He was also the sidekick in Hawaii 5 0 and his mother is Mary Martin...) anyway, he played "Clay-boy" which became "John-boy" in the Waltons.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Well as someone that lives about 20 minutes from Spencers Mountain, I would suggest going. The drive alone is just beautiful, although we are losing most of the leaves this weekend.

Alice

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
Little House on the Prarie is on the Hallmark Channel on the Dish every day at 3 pm....we watch it alot. The Waltons was a show we never missed; wish it was on DVD. DEE

·
1/2 bubble off plumb
8,811 Posts
Yep, Walton's are on DVD. We have season 1 and 2, I'm hoping for season 3 for Christmas as I'm the one that watches it. All the over 100 or so DVD's are for everyone else in the family - well I enjoy them too, but I'll watch Waltons alon. I need someone else with me to watch Hogans Heroes, MacGyver, Dukes of Hazzard, Pink Panther, etc....just not worth the effort to turn on all the equipment to watch those alone.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sonofdet and Alice, thank you very much. I've added it to our list of places to see. I can't wait to hit the road. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts

It was made into a movie in the 60's? Henry Fonda played Daddy and Maureen O'Hara played Momma and James...(crap forgot his last name. He was also the sidekick in Hawaii 5 0 and his mother is Mary Martin...) anyway, he played "Clay-boy" which became "John-boy" in the Waltons.
Clay-Boy was played by James MacAuthor

·
Ages Ago Acres Nubians
2,609 Posts
I grew up watching the Waltons... so you can imagine my surprise one afternoon back in '73 (maybe '74?) My family had a trailer on a small lake in Oklahoma. One sunny afternoon a *hippy* van drove up to where I was sitting. (I was in 7th or 8th grade at the time) Who should get out of the van, but Grandpa Walton!! He had on overalls, a big floppy hat and he was carrying a PURSE!.. not really, but he did have a big ol' capret bag looking pack. He asked if I'd mind sharing the picnic table I was sitting on. I scooted over and he sat down, pulled a couple sandwiches out of his bag and gave me one. Seems he had been friends with Woody Guthrie back years before. Woody Guthrie was born in Okemah Oklahoma (so was I) the little lake was a few miles outside of town. Seems Grandpa Walton (Will Geer) had traveled to Okemah to see where Woody had been born & such. Someone had told him about the lake and he thought it'd be a nice place to spend the afternoon... He was a really nice man (I remember being a little shocked that Grandpa was a hippie in real life LOL, but it was also really **GROOVY** hehehe) We chatted, ate lunch, I showed him a big stone where native amercians use to grind corn. When he got ready to leave, he reached back into his bag and brought out some packs of flower seeds. He gave them to me, ruffled my hair... got into his van, shot me the peace sign... and off he went... Watching the Waltons each week took on a whole new special meaning for me. I was saddened a few years later when we heard that he had died suddenly..
susie, mo ozarks

·
Premium Member
9,544 Posts

Wasn't it Patricia Neal who played the mother?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts