Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have completed my chicken area and I'm now considering some hogs this spring. I have an area of approximately .4 acre that I will be fencing in. I have cleared much of the brush and shrub trees. There are several walnut trees that I could leave to help with shade during the normal summer in Ohio. Will the walnuts cause any issues with hogs??? .

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Walnuts are great. Our pigs eat the various nuts from our trees. Protect the bases of the trees to prevent chewing of the bark and compaction of the soil around the roots. Sheep are far worse as are horses but if pigs may scratch against a tree taking off the bark or actively chew it if bored, hungry or too confined.

Please fill in your location information which makes it easier to answer questions. At the very least your zone. See this thread:

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/livestock-forums/pigs/505485-please-fill-location-info.html

Cheers,

-Walter

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, I was hoping so. Hated to cut them down since they are decent size and the shade will be beneficial.
Thanks for the info.
I filled out my info, been meaning too but kept forgetting so went straight there.:smack

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you do cut any of them even one and they are over 12inches don't cut them into firewood I took one tree that I got 2 logs out of to the mill and got 250 dollars. That was after cutting 10 ft off of the base because it was hung up .Probably would have got 500 if I had the other log.Walnut is suppose to be at a all time high.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts