Walnut for goats?? What a treat!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ozark_jewels, Aug 18, 2006.

1. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

The walnut trees in this area are really loaded with nuts this year. And the limbs are actually breaking under the weight. My theory is that the past several dry years are contributing to the breakage of limbs, dunno if thats true. :shrug:
    But my herd doesn't give a darn about the reason, they just love the results!! My kid pen is especially heavily loaded..... :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is the biggest limb to fall yet. The others have all been small.

2. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

I've had the same thing happening, except the walnut trees are in my front yard. My DD was dragging a limb back to the goats when my brother-in-law (horse guy) yelled at her not to feed it to them. She called me at work just to make sure it was OK.
    Some folks say not to feed to goats, but we've been doing it for years.

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, same here. They love them and it doesn't hurt them at all. One dry summer I fed my goats entirely on walnut, oak and elm trees that I would cut down for them. They looked really good all summer long. They got three trees a day and did they ever clean them up!

4. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

some peoples kids i swear lol, walnut trees are one of the BEST things a goat will eat,

right up there with elm and Mallberry, my goats at so much walnut tree leaves that we had a manacured grove lol, no new growth anywhere between the ground up to as hight as they could reach, which made my walking through the trees alot easyer lol.