Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A Walmart delivery driver says the uniform pants provided by the company are “impossible” for women to wear.

She is now suing the company, saying Walmart does not pay for uniform expenses incurred by the female employees who have to buy other pants, according to a class-action lawsuit filed in Alabama.

Diana Webb, who has worked as a Walmart delivery driver since July 2020, says in the federal lawsuit she was forced to buy her own pants for the job, calling it “an economic expense her male colleagues have not suffered.”

But in a statement provided to McClatchy News, Walmart spokesperson Randy Hargrove said Webb was not required to wear the provided pants.

“Walmart is committed to providing our private fleet drivers with various clothing options to meet our guidelines,” Hargrove said. “No associate, male or female, is required to wear company provided pants. Months before the lawsuit was filed, Ms. Webb was fitted for company provided pants which she now has. We continue to review our clothing offerings for male and female drivers. We take these allegations seriously and will respond in court as appropriate.”

Still, the lawsuit says Walmart requires its delivery driver employees to wear a uniform consisting of pants and a shirt — both of which are provided by the company — or face termination. The company also provides laundry services for the provided uniform.

The lawsuit says both male and female delivery drivers are given male pants, which are “uncomfortable and poorly-fitting for the female drivers.”

Due to anatomical differences in women and men, it is “impossible” for women to wear the pants, the lawsuit alleges.

“Female drivers are therefore required to either suffer discomfort, or purchase and launder their own pants, out of their own pocket, with no option for reimbursement, in order to fulfill Walmart’s employment requirements,” the lawsuit says.

Link

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought we were in the age where there is no male or female, and those who do identify as female wish to be treated the same as men. So, what gives?

Free uniform, free laundry service? I only wish I had that perk when I was able to work.

National average is women make up 6% of the nation's steering wheel holders.

I hate the Walmart/Sam's Club corp. as a former "associate"; however, I've got to back them on this one.

I believe that if they compelled their uniform company to stock woman's clothing for just 6% of their drivers, it would be a huge inconvenience and expense.

I believe that the aggrieved in this case would scream bloody murder if she was compelled to pay a potential cost differential between providing women with uniforms as opposed to men, but I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that she would not see it as fair if the men were compensated for the difference between men's and women's uniforms if they were both provided at no out of pocket to the employee.

If Walmart were to pay a stipend to provide/launder your own clothing, it would have to be corporate and apply equally to men, as well as women, thereby causing Walmart to lose all control over driver presentation consistency and reduce them to being clothing police regarding dress codes.

In short;

Girl, be fitted for company provided pants that will accommodate your beam and wear a belt.

And be glad you have a job.

P.S.

I saw an order puller at a local Walmart yesterday wearing a kilt.

He didn't have any blue paint on his face though.

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
2,151 Posts
I have not clicked the link, but it's probably just a ruse because Walmart does not provide XXXXXXXXL outfits.

Some of our local Walmart employees would need that.

As I recall, Walmart changed it's in store clothing policy a few years ago and now allow employees to wear their own clothes as long as they put a Walmart vest over their upper body. They used to have stringent rules about employee attire.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MS. Webb needs to fill out the proper report.

Font Darkness Monochrome photography Monochrome Event

Reactions: muleskinner2

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have not clicked the link, but it's probably just a ruse because Walmart does not provide XXXXXXXXL outfits.

Some of our local Walmart employees would need that.

As I recall, Walmart changed it's in store clothing policy a few years ago and now allow employees to wear their own clothes as long as they put a Walmart vest over their upper body. They used to have stringent rules about employee attire.

Ms. Webb is a driver for Walmart.

They have both a dress code and provide uniforms and laundering of same to their drivers.

Ms. Webb is POed and suing because she does not like the the fit of the, provided at no personal expense, uniforms.

Reactions: Kiamichi Kid

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didnt hooters just have a blow up over uniforms
Actually, I believe that the blow up had to do with the hooters of the Hooter girls.

·
Premium Member
30,047 Posts
As a woman who cannot wear mens pants, my initial reaction would be to side with the female drivers. But it depends on the employee agreement. If the agreement says you must wear the company provided pants, then the company should provide adequate uniforms. If the agreement says you can buy and wear your own pants then she is in the wrong. To make it completely fair, the company should have an either/or policy. Either they provide the uniforms or you get reimbursed for purchasing uniforms. If the employee then is terminated or quits, the company either gets the uniforms back or the cost, less depreciation, should be deducted from their final check.

Hubby has worked at places where uniforms are provided along with laundering services. His current company provides laudry services but I still wash his uniforms at home. The laundry service has often lost his uniforms. He is currently missing 6 uniforms.

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
2,151 Posts

·
Administrator
20,515 Posts

They have both a dress code and provide uniforms and laundering of same to their drivers.

Ms. Webb is POed and suing because she does not like the the fit of the, provided at no personal expense, uniforms.

I've had to wear men's pants on occasion and they are very uncomfortable. As a rule, they have longer and narrower legs than women, the waistband sits right under a woman's ribs, which is fairly uncomforable when sitting.

I'm not sure it warrants a lawsuit but I would think Walmart would want their drivers to look as neat and professional as possible without sacrificing comfort.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
As a woman who cannot wear mens pants, my initial reaction would be to side with the female drivers. But it depends on the employee agreement. If the agreement says you must wear the company provided pants, then the company should provide adequate uniforms. If the agreement says you can buy and wear your own pants then she is in the wrong. To make it completely fair, the company should have an either/or policy. Either they provide the uniforms or you get reimbursed for purchasing uniforms. If the employee then is terminated or quits, the company either gets the uniforms back or the cost, less depreciation, should be deducted from their final check.

Hubby has worked at places where uniforms are provided along with laundering services. His current company provides laudry services but I still wash his uniforms at home. The laundry service has often lost his uniforms. He is currently missing 6 uniforms.
What she said. Women have waistlines, men don't. To get mens pants that fit in the hips means the waistline would fit two people. I'm not overweight so that example mentioned by one of the men doesn't mean anything.

How about one of you guys putting on women's pants. You'll get first hand experience on why not having sex appropriate clothing is an issue.

·
Registered
5,148 Posts

Wal-Mart drivers from the DC's close to me all wear jeans close to half wranglers.

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
I'm not sure it warrants a lawsuit but I would think Walmart would want their drivers to look as neat and professional as possible without sacrificing comfort.
Maybe their drivers, but not the workers in my local store.... :oops:

·
Premium Member
30,047 Posts
Another thing, the uniforms come from a uniform company such as Cintas, which offers uniforms made for men or women. There is no reason the uniform company would not have an appropriate size.

I used to wear boys pants, when I was 12 years old, extra tall and very skinny. Those days ended abruptly when puberty hit and my hips widened.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I've had to wear men's pants on occasion and they are very uncomfortable. As a rule, they have longer and narrower legs than women, the waistband sits right under a woman's ribs, which is fairly uncomforable when sitting.

I had the opposite problem when I was in the military - the men's pants that were long enough in the leg for me were enormous around the waist. Had to cinch it in so much that I looked like I was wearing a diaper. The waist was very high, though, as you mention. Same problem with the blouses, if it was long enough in the arms for me it was huge around my torso.

Don't even get me started on having to wear men's boots. I still have malformations on the sides of the balls of my feet and the back of my heel from having to wear boots that were too wide so that my feet slid around in them.

Luckily they have women's uniforms now that aren't just maternity uniforms.

It does indeed suck to have to wear men's clothing/uniforms as a woman.

·
Premium Member
30,047 Posts
I don't have a problem with mens shirts or shoes, just the pants. Womens shirts are too tight in the shoulders and the shoes are waaaay too narrow. I would have to argue with the shoe attendee when we went bowling and I would ask for mens shoes. I'm a mess. 😁

·
Administrator
20,515 Posts
I had the opposite problem when I was in the military - the men's pants that were long enough in the leg for me were enormous around the waist. Had to cinch it in so much that I looked like I was wearing a diaper. The waist was very high, though, as you mention. Same problem with the blouses, if it was long enough in the arms for me it was huge around my torso.

Don't even get me started on having to wear men's boots. I still have malformations on the sides of the balls of my feet and the back of my heel from having to wear boots that were too wide so that my feet slid around in them.

Luckily they have women's uniforms now that aren't just maternity uniforms.

It does indeed suck to have to wear men's clothing/uniforms as a woman.

For many years, there were no women’s work boots and I’m very sure it was far more dangerous for me wearing the smallest men’s size I could find and filling the space with multiple pairs of socks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts