Walmart is phasing out crafts and fabric dept and possibly guns and ammo

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by kentuckyhippie, Dec 24, 2006.

1. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

just talked with a friend who works at walmart and she said I better stock up on my material and craft stuff cause within a couple of months they wouldn't have any more and might not continue to stock guns or ammo. supposedly those departments aren't making enough money and will be gotten rid of to make room to expand the stuff that is making big bucks. she said that if enough folks called 1-800-WAL-MART and complained we might possibly reverse their decision. I'm sure going to call and get every friend and family member to call that I can. If our rural walmart no longer stocks fabric it will be an 80 mile round trip for me to get to the nearest fabric store.

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I've been checking. NONE of my South Texas stores are keeping fabric. Only one in Southern Missouri is, for three years. That's in Thayer.

Internet shopping isn't the answer because online fabric is EXPENSIVE.

3. Linda H

Linda H Missouri Ozarks

I heard the same thing from a friend that has a little fabric store. The Walmart near her is supposed to be without fabric by March. It however appears that its going to be slowly phased out as there's a sign posted at my brother's Walmart that says it will be almost two years before they get rid of fabric. The store my brother works in is about 30 miles from the one thats not going to carry fabric.

4. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I wonder how long it will be before the produce section is gone too in favor of a larger frozen food and processed junk food section. Their produce is only barely edible anyway.

I feel bad for folks who don't have any alternatives. It sucks as bad as when Sears discontinued their catalog (US only). Nobody cares about people who don't fit into the trendy, urban mold any more. Haven't you heard? Nobody sews anymore. Nobody cooks, unless you call defrosting int he microwave cooking.

What stupidity. They discontinue the department because it isn't bringing a lot of revenue and now it will bring in ZERO revenue. Boy, that's smart thinking. Go from low to ZERO. Duh.

donsgal

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Yep,we WalMart bashers have seen it coming.
    You wanted cheap products,you got em.As they see fit.

BooBoo

6. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

80 miles isnt that bad i do that to go to the beer store all dry countys here

7. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Sounds like home brew time!

8. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

"What stupidity. They discontinue the department because it isn't bringing a lot of revenue and now it will bring in ZERO revenue. Boy, that's smart thinking. Go from low to ZERO. Duh. " (cant seem to be able to work quote button)

They will not go from low revenue to zero revenue. They will go from low revenue to high(er) revenue by replacing the line with something that offers higher margin.

I see this in a different light. Many have commented about how Walmart hurts the small business. In this case, it would appear that the local guys beat out Walmart. I know that is the case in on of my local towns. When locals could not beat them in price, they bumped up quality, offered classes, free shipping on special orders, and all kinds of other stuff my DW will spend money on.

When it comes to the fabric stuff, Walmart played and lost.

9. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Oh good. Does that mean everything is going to the $1 a yard table? Yum.

Their fabric is very low quality anyway. There are plenty of big discount fabric stores in my area.

A place I like to order quality outdoor fabric:
    http://www.therainshed.com/

10. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

Our 3 closest Wal*Marts have already closed down the gun and ammo department (been that way for a good couple of months now.) The manager at one told me it was because it didn't generate enough revenue, and also because of liability issues. I prefer to speak to someone knowledgeable when buying a gun anyway. :shrug:

11. huntress4203

huntress4203 alias mullinaxclan

I work at a national chain pet store grooming dogs(and cats). We heard the other day that Walmarts are going to add pet grooming salons to their stores. I hate to see that. I don't like Walmart anyway. I'm actually not too crazy about any large corporation (including the one I work for but I'm sure I get paid better and have better bennies than Walmart) but I think they control enough.
    On a lighter note, them discontinuing crafts or fabrics doesn't bother me as I have both a Michaels and a Joannes close.
    Glo

12. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

The Gun issue is Because Wally world last year had A $5 million dollar fine for bad record keeping in its Cali. stores. Thats why its clerks can't do the Federal paperwork right so they Don'twant anymore fines.

13. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

So how will this impact the US cotton growers? If WM stops buying fabric, no sense in growing cotton to make it, they (WM) are a MAJOR player in the world market. Granted China is the world's largest cotton grower, but the US is a very close 2nd by maybe 2 million bales. Hello 3rd world status, it keeps getting closer.

Was there this much worry, when WM opened it's doors in your community and forced local businesses to close? Karma! :)

14. Linda H

Linda H Missouri Ozarks

For some reason I got a severe case of the giggles at the thought of Walmart dog grooming. Wonder if they would use the displaced fabric employees or the gun department ones to trim Fido.

15. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

If Wal Mart no longer carries these items, wouldn't it be good opportunities for fabric stores to open in some of these rural towns? Everyone complains about Wal Mart displacing the small, privately owned businesses in small or rural towns, so wouldn't this be a chance to get at least one type of commerce going again in these areas? And if you had to pay more per yard of fabric, isn't there a good chance it would still be cheaper overall than making a 40, 60 or 80 mile round-trip to a larger town or a Wal Mart that still carries fabric, when fuel costs are factored in?

This may not be all bad news. And besides, that 1$ a yard material is very poor quality. 'You get what you pay for'.

16. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

I'm old enough to remember when Pennys sold tools, woolworths was big, GC murphy was the toy store of choice and sears and robuck was really it. They all did as walmart is beginning to do and walmart will be gone in a few years, Just a law of some kind you get bigger and bigger and one day you are so big you have no idea what you are doing, They are there and They have no Sam Waldon to save their butts.

17. Wilkie

Wilkie Active Member

WalMart is, for now, the only place I can buy fabric without a round trip of almost 100 miles. I try to buy everything else from local home-grown merchants, but there are many times when I will buy something else just because I'm in there and it saves me a trip (gas). If there's no reason for me to go in there after the fabric dept is gone, they'll lose the sales from my other purchases as well. Granted, in the great scheme of things it's not a whole lot, but I wonder how many other people will do the same, and avoid them entirely if the only reason they stop in is gone?

Well, if that's so, then folks will honestly be able to say, "WalMart has gone to the dogs"! :)

I think so. If there was even a semi-local fabric store nearby, I'd patronize them instead, just on principle, even if they did charge more.

18. stirfamily

stirfamily Well-Known Member Supporter

I heard that Joann Fabrics will be picking up the slack once Walmart is out of the fabric picture.
    karen in Indiana

19. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Wonder how true that rumor is. The local Jo-Ann's is about 40% crafts and growing, less and less fabric. :shrug:

20. daddio

daddio Well-Known Member

I emailed JoAnn's a few years ago w/ my disgruntlement about the "decorating junk" and I mean JUNK, they have replaced most of their fabric with. Of course, no reply. I hope what you say is true, but I'm not holding my breath.

As for Wally-World's fabric . . . I only use it if what I am making is not that important in the long run of my life . . . ie. costumes, set design, quick tablecloths, etc. When you hold their fabric up, you can see daylight through it!

I am curious, though, what they will replace their fabric department with . . . they've seemed to cover all the bases now, what else?

Geri