wallpaper

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Larburlingame, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Larburlingame

Larburlingame Well-Known Member

We are taking down the wallpaper in our bathroom.

I was wonder if anyone had any tips on getting the paper off. Right now we are using steam and a scraper. I see there is chemical remover that can be used, has one had luck with that?

The paper comes right off put leaves a brown sheet that has the clue on it and that is the hard stuff to get off.

This is way I am a paint person! My wife just thought the bathroom needed wallpaper and now we pay the price!

2. Lil in md

Lil in md Well-Known Member

I usually just wet it down with a wet sponge and scrape it off pre-paste always comes off in layers .

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i do many bathrooms use a spray bottle work a small area let it sit a few min.then scrape be carefull not to dig to many holes in the sheetrock when your done scrub down the glue thats left dont make it to wet when it dries patch any bad spots with joint compound sand and paint youll never know it was ever there

4. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Vinegar & water in a spray bottle maybe 2/3 to 1/3 vinegar or a little less. You can score the wallpaper with a saw first. Sponge it in, let it soak a little bit, then peal off. Gooey job - have fun! Guaranteed to work :)

5. Dances In Woods

Dances In Woods Well-Known Member

Fabric softener(cheap kind) brush it on the wallpaper liberally and let it set awhile. Then you should be able to get it off very easily plus it will make your house smell good. I've not tried it because we don't have any wallpaper in house but friends swear by this method.

good luck,
    chris

6. Larburlingame

Thanks for the information.

7. indypartridge

indypartridge Well-Known Member Supporter

I've used a product called DIF. There's a gizmo you buy that you run over the wallpaper to score it (makes thousands of little holes) and then you mix the DIF in a bucket of water and sponge on. I've used it many times and have found it quite helpful, although some wallpaper is just dang stubborn!

8. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

trust me i do this for a living nothing better then plain warm water and those little rakes if you press to hard it makes marks in the sheetrock

9. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

Pull one little corner loose. Then tell the kids to not pick at it you don't want the paper pulled off the walls. Wait a couple of weeks while they pick away at it and blame each other. Remind them regularly not to pick at it. You'll have to do the part they can't reach.

10. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, that's too funny! Almost spewed my tea through my nose and on to the keyboard!

Thanks, Ann! I needed that!

Pony! (wiping her nose)

11. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Almost forgot: I've used DIF to great effect. Also used the steamer thing -- not too impressed, and it's murder on drywall if you leave it too long in one spot.

I've also left the paper up, sanded down the seams, and painted over it. That worked best of all. :)

Pony!

12. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

Funny that I should read this now......I just finished taking the wallpaper down in my bathroom about 15 minutes ago!! I used a scoring tool and DIF. It came off in two layers. The vinyl layer first, which left the paper layer. I then used the DIF but didn't score it since I didn't want to wreck the drywall and then peeled off the paper. After that I used warm water and wiped down the walls. Took about 6 hours total for a 7X14 bathroom (bottom half of the walls are tiled, top half was papered)

Let us know how your project turned out!!

13. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

Darlin' you gotta get a "paper tiger" and score the wall and use the DIF. Wait a little while, and that paper might just remove itself. Mine did and it was layers of OLD paper.

14. Larburlingame

We have two layers of paper. the first layer my wife up on a few years ago. The first layer the previous owner put on. Since he couldn't get the seams to stick he used clue! We got some solvent to get rid of the clue.

15. Tinker

Tinker Well-Known Member Supporter

I love pealing wallpaper-every time I see a loose corner or seam somewhere, I have to resist giving it a tug! I haven't had much luck with the store bought removers. The fabric softner DOES work. You just have to wet the surface throughly, and let it sit for 15-20 minutes, then scrape with a putty knofe. May take 2 or 3 times to get it all off. And if you plan on painting the wall instead of repapering it, be sure you get ALL the glue off, or you paint will crackle and not stick.