Wallowater plant protectors,ever use them?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mightybooboo, Sep 7, 2006.

1. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Picked up 9 of em for cheap at the thrift store today.

Want to use em on tomatoes as we cant plant til Mothers Day,this should start me 6-8 weeks early.Should extend season too keeping soil warmer Im hoping.

So,have you used them?
    Thinking tomatoes here.

Especially interested in experiences with snow areas.

http://www.wallowater.com/
    http://wallowater.com/Photos.html

Thanks,
    BooBoo

2. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Yee-up, I've used them, and they worked pretty well. The only problem was, it is SO cold outside when I go to set them up, and I just hate the cold, so I have not even tried them the past 2 years.

They do work nicely, though.

The way I did it, I planted the tomatoes, then covered the plant with a five gallon homer bucket. Put the wall-o-water around the bucket, then filled the little cells. Took the bucket out, and voila! Tomato Teepee Heaven. :)

Make sure you keep them filled. If you get a leak, it's a bear to patch. But all in all, they're nice.

Good luck!

Pony!

3. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Well, I'm with Pony on this one - sort of. It's so darn cold out when you need to put them on. But I used them for a while. The problem with them is my tomatoes outgrew them and I had to take them off. What a job that was! So I wound up taking them off when frost season was over after that.

Now that I moved and it real windy here (REAL WINDY) I don't use them anymore. I had to put stakes inside of them to keep them from blowing over and then they still went over in a storm and crushed my plants.

But you can repair the holes with some plastic and crazy glue. A little snip from the top makes a good patch.

4. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

That woman every one likes so much that writes for backwoods home mag (jackie clay) had a good article about her use of them in my last magazine.Said they work great

5. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

ROTFL :) Sorry CF was not aware of that

6. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

I've used them and they work good on tomatoes and peppers. The only problem I had was with them falling over fixed that by putting bamboo stakes in the inside. :cowboy:

7. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

Hi Boo
    What store did you find them at? I too saw them in Jackies article but did not know where to get them around here.
    Jodi

8. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I know Ace(generic Ace,not sure of ours) carries them.They run retail about 10 dollars for three,I looked em up on the web to see what they cost.Plenty places to buy on the web.

I got mine at the thrift store.
    Also,broccoli actually grows here in the mountains,we have 2 successful plants!

BooBoo