Wallow in the Sun....

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by savinggrace, Jul 28, 2006.

1. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

Hi,

The piggies went outside the other day-they are positively in hog heaven!

But the next several days are going to be pretty darn warm, and sunny. They have a 'wallow' with continual trickling cold water, but it is not under shade. They have shade, but there isn't a wallow there. (just boring straw!)

So, do you think they will have enough sense to get out of the wallow to go into the shade? I don't want sunburned porkers!

Thanks!

Melissa

2. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Melissa...I notice that my hogs will lay in their wallows all day long in the heat, getting up from time to time to switch sides! I have placed their wallows in the shade. I am not sure how practicle it is, but is there a way to give them some simple shade at their wallow site? Some posts with a plywood roof is all you would need. Anyway, I am sure that they have enough sense to move where they need to, but I am a little worried about them getting sunburned wanting to spend time in the water. Are they 'pink' pigs or dark?

3. savinggrace

Well here are thier pictures
    http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=132160
    Although right now, they both look about the same-muddy and happy!

From watching them today, they lay beneath a tree then both get up at the same time, take a sip from the waterer, then have a good splash in the mud.

But I might still put something over the wallow area-just in case. Thanks! :p

4. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

oh ok...I didn't put two and two together. I remember seeing their photos the other day. Cute pigs! Putting some shade over their wallow is probably one of those things that isn't necessary, but wouldn't hurt either. I'll bet that they are happy pigs indeed!

5. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

If they can get a good coating of mud on them I wouldn't worry about them getting sunburn.

Heather

6. savinggrace

Oh well they have that under control!

With the clay mud we have here, Can't hardly tell one from another aside from their size and sex! :shrug:

You guys are right....pigs are so much fun! :help: :p

7. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Sunburn happens when it is all at once, not when they've been in the sun as it gradually gets hotter. I thnk they should be fine like John and Up North have already said. My pigs are in the spring all day and come out black with mud to lie in the sun. :rolleyes:

8. BD

BD Active Member

hi, wallow and hosing them down really helps. Pigs do not have sweat glands . they love to have water sprayed on them in this hot hot weather. If you hose them down inside a barn or shaded area with a fan , you got polish air conditioning !!! its ok, i am 100 % polish. if you use a fine spray the with fan on you will actually drop the inside temperature . They do sell a fan with fine spray nozzeles attached for that reason . BOB

9. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

The first time I put pigs outside, they got so sunburned I felt bad for them. They didn't have a wallow, I didn't think they needed it because it was spring and not hot outside. I've since learned that they use the mud in the wallow to protect themselves from the sun! They spend most of the summer either in the wallow or caked with mud.

Pete