Wall Between President and DOJ

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MoonRiver, Nov 14, 2017 at 10:16 AM.

1. MoonRiver

MoonRiver SM Entrepreneuraholic Supporter

Does anyone know where this came from? It doesn't seem to be in the Constitution.

I'm not asking for a discussion of the politics of it, but the statutory aspect. When I hear on news that President Trump can't tell DOJ to investigate something, it makes no sense to me. I would guess all Presidents tell DOJ what to do, but they do it in secret. So what is the legal basis for this wall?

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

The "wall" is a fantasy:

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-the-De...rather-than-the-Judicial-branch-of-government
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Department_of_Justice

This still seems like a topic better suited for posting in "politics" to me though.

3. MoonRiver

MoonRiver SM Entrepreneuraholic Supporter

The author of the quora article has the same opinion I do, but it's just his opinion - not a law reference.

I heard Trey Gowdy repeat the same thing today during the Sessions hearing, that there is this mysterious wall between the president and DOJ. I believe that Gowdy is well versed in the law, so it would be interesting to hear his explanation. If there is not specific legislation that defines this wall, then it seems to me either all federal departments have a wall or none have one.

The reason I posted the question here is I am asking a question about law, not politics.

4. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

5. AmericanStand

AmericanStand Well-Known Member

It's ok we don't really have a politics forum. We have a dark room where bad behavior is tolerated to a greater extent.
    Any subject can be discussed civilly in general chat.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 11:43 AM
    Dustin likes this.
  6. keenataz

keenataz Well-Known Member

From an outsider point of view, I find it strange too. He can tell the Secretary of State, Defence, etc what to do.

In the Saturday Night Massacre, didn't Nixon tell his Attorny General to fire the Special Prosecuter? He refused, but he did it

7. geo in mi

geo in mi Well-Known Member Supporter

Wall?.... What wall? ....Oh, somebody has to pay for it???

Sorry, couldn't help myself..... :)

geo

Clem likes this.