walkway material???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Queen Bee, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

I am in the process of redoing my front yard.. Tearing out old ,worn plants and making flower beds... I have an area approx. 20'sq. with a small/young pink flowering crap apple in the center. I want to divided the area into 4 small squares and place a small walk between each sq leaving a small circle in the center for the tree.. Each area will have a different color --one pink, red, purple and yellow color of flowers for cutting, herbs and perennials. The walkway needs to be functional (for removing weeds, cutting flowers and plant care) but will not be a high traffic path.. I need ideas on a cheap, easy material to place and care for! Thanks for your suggestions.. Debbie

2. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

If there are any fruit canneries near you, see if you can get hold of some of the seeds from stone fruit - peach or nectarine preferavbly, but plum or apricot or even cherry will do. They make an attractive and durable path or driveway cover - like gravel but quiet.

P.S. They're light enough to stay on top of the path too, unlike gravel which you lose as it sinks and gets trodden-in.

3. Queen Bee

What a wonderful idea but I don't know of any canneries near us. I would love to know if they sell it in bulk or bags. Thanks for you idea..

4. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

That sounds really pretty! Another thing you might be able to get? We have it here in TX, is pecan shell mulch. It takes a long time to break down and is really nice looking. It does float though, if you get heavy rain.

hollym

5. BertaBurtonLake

BertaBurtonLake Well-Known Member

Hi QueenBee

If you are near the coast, oyster shells make a beautiful walkway.

For my paths between my raised beds I put down thick layers of newspaper and topped with shredded bark from the sawmill down the road. In 3 years time, I had no weeds but had the most lovely black dirt that I topped the beds off with this year. I will redo them this weekend with the same process.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on and how it looks. I bet that it will be beautiful!

Warm Regards,
    ~Berta

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I have seen mineral surfaced rolled roofing used for this purpose, its 36 inches wide and comes in a 33 foot roll, also comes in different colors. It can be cut from the back side with a utility knife into 18 inch strips - thats 66 feet of path material for hopefully under $20.00, I have not priced it lately.

7. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

You could also do this...make a plastic mold, round, grease it with motor oil.. and put your children's or anyone's hand prints into them..when they dry you will have a round stepping stone. You buy the dye especially for putting into cement. You can usually find molds in the garden magazines with flowers, birds, fish etc at a ready made plastic mold already to go !! Also..how about the wooden walkways..might be too big for your gardens you can purchase them or you can make them from old pallets. AND..how about cedar rounds..a long log cut into "rounds" and used as stepping stones !! I have seen these cedar "stepping stones" and they are very nice and last a very long time with herbs growing around them in the garden. Hope this gives you some ideas !!

8. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

You can also just ask a tree-trimmer to drop a load off and use it for mulch. That's what we do. Cheap and easy to use and replenish.

We do use bought large pine chips for one small area near the house.

9. Lisa A

Lisa A Well-Known Member

If you have aggressive grass like we do, you'll need something under the
    mulch, like newspaper, cardboard or weed block fabric. I've used chipped
    wood from an arborist (free), pea gravel, bark nuggets and straw (cheap).
    But I have to admit the grass is winning this year. Ah well, it should mean
    we'll get a good hay crop.

10. Queen Bee

Thank you everyone! I thought about using small bamboo cut into the width of the path and tacked onto bamboo poles on each side of the pole..(free for the cutting). I will use rolled roofing as a weed barrier under it... Any ideas? any one try this??? I have taken before pictures and will take "after" pictures when I am finished..