Walkingstick

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygrrrl, Jul 28, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

The biggest, most beautiful walkingstick in the entire world has moved onto my front porch.

Even better, it's the first walkingstick I've ever seen which isn't a dull brownish or brownish green color.

This walkingstick has perfectly lovely redwoodish and yellow coloring. :)

He's been there for two days now. I think he's moved in over here because i accidentally painted the front porch a combination redwood - barn red. :rolleyes: Which is what happens when you don't read sealant cans.

He blends in so nicely that even my extremely nosey dogs haven't noticed him yet. And I just went and checked, and he's still there. :D I'm hoping this means I can look forward to even more walkingsticks in the coming months. :D

2. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

i've seen only 2 in my entire life-----beautiful creatures.

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:D Yes, they are beautiful.

A few years ago, my sister went to a place fairly near to here, Spiro Mounds. While standing in a small building there, she said walkingsticks started raining down on her. She was thrilled! :D

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

We used to see some huge ones when we lived in Texas. I haven't seen one yet here in MS, but we have a wide variety of spiders living around our porch lights which are quite entertaining at night...not to mention several different types of toads and frogs in the garage every night.

Walkingsticks are cool bugs to watch, but I don't particularly care for having them walk on me.

5. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

You know certain varities can get up to 3 feet long? Eeek! At the museum, we have a lady that does live reptile shows and brings in a couple walking sticks each time. Pretty interesting creatures. :) Hey, I found a tree frog stuck to the wall on our front porch last night. :cool:

6. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

He. :D

Last summer, I found what I thought was a big blob of black mold on my beautiful new front deck (covered and shaded on one side :) ).

I panicked and poked it --- and up jumped a beautiful black and white treefrog who'd been resting in between the floor planks. :D

7. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...................Why don't you make him a convention Badge with a Donkey's body that Has Bush's face ....and call him "Johnny Appleseed" ....then you can play that Song by James Taylor called.."the walking man"....I think is the Name of it..., maybe he will do a little Jig.....fordy..... :eek: :)

8. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

No. My walkingstick is much too genteel for political frolicking. :yeeha:

He prefers more austere pursuits. :yeeha:

*shaking head at the thought of making my beautiful walkingstick put on little outfits* :no: :no: :no:

9. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

the problem with walking sticks is that they eat plants. Most people think they are insects that are predatory on other insects like praying mantis. Not so their favorite foods are blackberries and rose bushes.

10. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I read they have a particular affinity for wild cherry. I have some wild cherry trees, too. But I've been debating cutting them down for a while because they're really kind of measly looking trees :rolleyes: and I don't think they're going to get much better ... and I'd like to get something a bit more majestic going. Like some more of my nice yellow poplars. Or some more hickories! So the little guy may be helping me make my final decision. :)

11. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

We had praying mantises in grand junction. I was always finding their egg sacks in the roses. Nice critters to have. Been catching grasshoppers for my chicken babies. It's a hoot watching them! They have some funny looking grasshoppers here. All long and skinny. At least there are no mormon crickets! Those are THE nastiest looking things. Last summer I was driving slowly down the road weaving back and forth trying to smash as many as I could. Chickens won't eat them, only sea gulls think they taste good.

12. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I used to keep preying mantises as pets when i was a kid. :) They're wonderful little critters.

As for grasshoppers, gack. Very bad year for them. They're everywhere! :no:

13. Linda Camello

Linda Camello Well-Known Member

Hey Countrygrrrl....is there any way that you can take a pic of that walking stick?? I haven't seen one for so long and I would love to see it!!! Just tell him to say "cheese" first! LOL :D

14. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Life's simple pleasures. If it weren't so hot right now I'd be out enjoying the flora and fauna instead of in front of this monitor as often as I am.

15. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Years ago, my DD and Gd were picking raspberries where, BTW, the walking sticks seem to love to be. My GD was about 8 at the time and she found them fascinating. All of a sudden, she left out a scream that made the neighbors cows go dry! :eek: :D I thought that she had been stung by a bee! All the commotion was because one had decided to climb her leg!

When my mother was here, I showed her a walking stick. She was in her 80's and had never seen one!

16. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:confused:

I think there was some kind of great and horrible Walkingstick Battle last night on the front porch. When i went to check on the little guy, he was sprawled out flat on his back, legs sticking straight up --- dead as a doornail. :waa: Then down from the ceiling of the porch fell ... another walkingstick, this one even bigger.

:eek:

17. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

About 10 years ago, we were on vacation in the Texas Hill Country when we stopped at a roadside antique store to browse. There was a snow cone stand next door where the kids were hanging out; I walked over to them and they had found a huge walkingstick. They were fascinated, being raised in the suburbs they had never seen one. They pointed it out to the old man tending the snow cone stand. He promptly walked over and squashed it with his boot. The kids were kinda upset with him. :confused:

18. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

LOL!!

Well, I found the new walkingstick hanging rather precariously by one leg from a large pot of basil. He seemed disoriented, what with all those legs (except one) flailing about kind of wildly --- probably because it's raining and everytime he tried to securely attach himself, a big blob of rain would knock him over (except for that one leg).

So I moved the pot (walkingstick attached) to the middle of the porch which caused the walkingstick to FREAK OUT and disappear instantly.

:confused:

But he surfaced again a few minutes ago. :) He's now trying to navigate a piece of wood I have balanced against the front of this place.

19. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Having fun????? :haha:

20. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:D Yes.