walking onions sprouting

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MELOC, Oct 4, 2006.

1. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

woohoo! my recently purchased walking onions are sprouting! that didn't take long at all. i have heritage sweet, red egyptians and catawissas sprouting. the true egyptians are taking a bit longer but i have confidence they will soon pop as well.

thanks paquebot!

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

They were indeed ready to start growing, no matter if bulbs or topsets. The Heritage Sweets have to be the quickest of any type of allium. Some shallots are fast at 10 days but Heritage Sweets will have green growth in less than a week if conditions are right.

The true Egyptians are indeed slower. It was at least a month before the last one showed up after starting a new bed. However, I think that they may be the fastest to reach winter onion size when the old bulbs start growing again.

Martin

3. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

martin,
    i was curiours. i've heard that you can just throw these on the ground and they will start growning. as i have a ton of the purple one, i have been breaking them apart and looking forward to planting them. i have about a million little bulbs to plant. could i just sprinkle on the ground and maybe just sprinkle some dirt on top. planting each one would take all winter.
    randy

4. Paquebot

Randy, you are quite correct. The topsets need only lay on the ground and they will root. Just keep the ground a little damp or let Nature do it during the winter. Either way, you'll probably end up with 110% success!

Martin

5. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

i have over a gallon of topsets to plant. i was hating life thinking about planting each one. i planted the ones that you sent me. they are alot bigger than the purple ones i have. i have plans to sell these as spring onions in the spring. i also might throw a few in my moms flower bed, just for the heck of it. do you think she will notice?. next year i should have several to trade.
    randy

p.s. marting, do you have any garlic to trade. i bought some from the grocery section today to plant. but always like something different.
    randy

6. Paquebot

Check out the Sticky buy-sell-trade thread for my garlic mix offer. Supply dwindling but still available.

Martin