walking onions...not what I expected...?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Heritage, May 19, 2006.

1. Heritage

Heritage Well-Known Member

I was expecting a walking onion to grow and produce small bulbs that you would pick off and use. All of mine have sprouted again, so I have two story onions. The second story is coming out of the small bulbs. Is this normal? Did I wait too long or not long enough? My expectations and what is happening just don't agree. Any comments from the experts? Thanks.

2. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

I've grown some kind of multiplying onions for over 15 years and have never been impressed with this variety; they were a gift from another gardener. Double bulbing occurs on mine, too. You can cut the bunch off and plant them or let nature take her course and let them drop off then divide clumps once they've rooted. So they're not my 1st choice but, when the chives are past and you're out of real onions, it's nice to be able to grab some of these things fresh from the garden--beats driving to the store.

3. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

I have walking onions....
    the ones that sprout will not grow big enough to use...
    they drop down and sprout into new plants. (thats what they mean by "walking"/spreading)
    or you cut em off and plant em where you want them to grow.

4. Heritage

Heritage Well-Known Member

and what happens if I leave them alone until later in the season? Will the tops die off and leave me with a small bulb?

5. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Walking onions are meant to be eaten primarily as green onions/scallions. Other names for them are winter onions or spring onions. The larger topset bulbils may also be used as pearl onions. Smaller bulbils are planted back for either green onions or to create more parent plants. They can be planted at different times to have a steady stream of tender scallions right up to frost.

The second set of topsets usually indicate that they are the Catawissa variety as that's the only large one which does that.

Martin