walking on snow and ice

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by SquashNut, Dec 6, 2006.

1. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

My dh brought home some of those Yaktrax Walkers so I could walk my dog.
    For any one that doesn't know what they are, they slip over your boots and are mde from rubber and metal springs.
    I am acually looking at them and thinking although they work, they don't look like they will last very long.
    What would be another way to get additional traction while walking in the snow and ice?
    Or has any one come up with a way to make a home made version of the Yaktrax Walkers.
    I am accually thinking snow shoes would be fun.

2. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Well-Known Member

There are many different types of ice cleats made by many manufacturers. Look at www.cabelas.com

3. SquashNut

Thanks, I am going into town tomarow. I'll check the Outdoor Warehouse for the ones that cabbela sells. Those are much nicer than the ones I have. If they don't have them I'll order from Cabbelas.

4. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Well-Known Member

You should find something that will work at the Outdoor Warehouse, and your should be able to find something pretty cheap,too.

5. SquashNut

The ones we bought were only $8. But they are cheap looking. Not durable at all. I knew there had to be better ones.
    Thanks again.

6. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

DH got me some from Bean about 3 years ago. They were kind of expensive but the cleats haven't worn down at all. Once we get any snow here, I always wear them with my boots to walk the dog.