Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to post this here as I thought more would see it and someone might have the experience to help. However, if it belongs somewhere else, please move it accordingly just please let me know where it was placed.

We are wanting to put in a walk in cooler to allow better timing on our picking schedule for our CSA. I can put it in the shop and take up valuable shop space or we can build one outside, where I would rather put one. However, one concern I have is that if storing stuff during cold winter months would everything inside end up frozen?

Way back when, we had milk goats and kept a refrigerator in the unheated barn. In winter we lost some milk because it froze. Thus my question. Will a walk in cooler outside the heated building allow winter veggies to freeze in winter or will the insulation keep out the severe cold? Thanks

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
you could always wire a receptacle in turn off the refrigeration unit and use a small milk house heater on a thermo cube to keep the inside space above freezing.

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
If you insulate it properly for a walk-in cooler, it would have to get way sub-zero to freeze inside it.

·
Registered
843 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts