Wal-Mart the largest corporate donor in 2004.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Siryet, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

http://www.kfsm.com/Global/story.asp?S=2963470

BENTONVILLE – As Wal-Mart is rolling back prices, the world’s largest retailer is also rolling out the dough to help the communities in which their associates reside.

The Wal-Mart and Sam’s Club foundations donated just over $170 million dollars to communities nationwide last year

2. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Great PR for Wally's World, now show us the tax return where it's a write off.

3. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member Supporter

I just finished reading the paper and saw where they are under investigation for violating child labor laws. Why only screw your adult employees when there are kids to take advantage of? :no:

Nomad

4. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you suppose they wouldn't have to contribute so much to the local charities if they paid their empoloyees a living wage? Do they contribute charitably to the Chinese prisoners who make some of their stuff?

5. Wilbur

Wilbur Well-Known Member

I have to say for me I applaud them for being successful and giving back to the communities they are in. It is local aid from businesses such as these that provide alot of the food for the food pantry my wife (and others) started at our church. I don't begrudge them for being able to provide what customers want and I shop there alot. They save our family alot of money every year. Just my take on it.

6. chas

chas Well-Known Member

According to a common tater WMart makes just 3 cents on the dollar,and the ceo dosen't fly first class, and they stay in ecconomy hotels.That helps when the higher ups aren't rolling in obscene amounts of dough!!!!!
    The one thing that was mentioned was , it's a great entry level job for experience, and for retired people to make a few bucks.If more people turned down the jobs because of low wages they would have to pay more :D Then we would have to pay more :eek: :eek:

7. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

Walmart is the biggest corporate welfare whore in the world. Whatever they contribute back into the communities is a pittance compared to the billions they have received in free land, highway work, property tax abatements, worker trainer grants(duh...how hard is it to train a person to run a cash register), economic developement grants, etc.

Obviously, millions of people think China Mart is the greatest thing out there since the invention of sliced bread.

China Mart can contribute whatever they want to local organizations. It won't change my horrible opinion of the company.

8. DraftFlavored

DraftFlavored Well-Known Member

I have to throw my crummy 2 cents worth in here concerning Walmart.

I realize many folks depend upon Walmart's rock bottom prices, especially when there are large families to feed, clothe, etc.
    The operative words being : Rock Bottom

Here's the problem I have with Walmart:

When Walmart states Walmart slashes prices and passes those savings on to the consumer, what Walmart doesn't want the general public to know is how Walmart goes about doing it. Any person or company who wants to become a vendor for Walmart had better understand two things: One, expect to and be willing to sell your product at about zero profit margin and two, don't ever assume that Walmart will renew it's product contract with you, because there is NO loyalty with Walmart. Being a vendor with Walmart is like working under contract with a record company... you have no say in the matter.
    A vendor could be producing and selling plastic kitchen bowls to Walmart for, say, .10 cents per piece on say, 100,000 bowls. The cost of materials rise constantly... the cost of resins, labor, overhead, shipping etc. Say the following year, the vendor is hit with a price increase, therefore, appraoching Walmart for a measly 1 cent per piece increase. Walmart will tell you to stick it where the sun doesn't shine. Let's say that same vendor is holding substantial stock on their floor for an additional 50,000 bowls. If Walmart doesn't like your 1 cent increase at renewal time, not only will Walmart send you packing and drop you as a vendor, they won't accept the additional inventory either. The vendor is stuck and takes an anormous loss. Many businesses who have done business for Walmart have had to shut their doors.. This is exactly what happened to Rubbermaid company. Walmart had contracted for RM to produce an array of their container products and when vendor costs rose, Walmart refused to buy from RubberMaid. RM was left holding the bag and the factory took an enormous loss. This was under contract, mind you. Again, there is no loyalty with Walmart.
    They are so incredibly powerful. More than anyone can imagine.
    This is alot of the reason you can walk into a Walmart and see "DeWalt" power tools one month or two then all of a sudden, you don't see tham anymore.
    Home Depot is operating much the same way.... you'll see a specific brand in HD now and wondered what happened to "Milwaukee" brand. It's no where to be found.
    Walmart FORCES vendors to sell at a specific price.
    So, the next time you hear Walmart say it's slashing prices, what it's really doing is continually slashing the profit margins of it's vendors. No loyalty.

While people buy cheap at Walmart, I doubt many of them really know what's going on behind the scenes and how Walmart is royally screwing the American manufacturer. The above poster is correct, best to call Walmart, China Mart, because that's where 75-80% of all the goods are made. Walmart has even talked of buying it's own container shipping company to ship all that crap from China over here. The Walmart picture goes deeper than most could ever imagine.
    And this is coming from the mouth of a long time business owner. It's a matter of good business ethics and principle.

I'll go out of my way to buy a good mom and pop hardware store before I'll patronize Walmart. They're dirty pool players. Period.

9. tooltime

tooltime Border Ruffian

Wal-Mart's CEO received $28.9 million in compensation in 2003, and Wal-Mart has received $1 billion in subsidies since 1985 for its stores and distribution centers.

They are a successful business and they provide some goods at low prices, but they're eating pretty good from the government trough, just like lots of other corporations.

10. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Wally's World okay's unions in China,(doesn't want to kill the goose with the golden eggs). Pushed against the wall with the treath of being blackballed by China's Federation of Unions, the big guy gives in.

China employees must be worth more to Wally's World then it's USA counterparts.

http://english.people.com.cn/200411/24/eng20041124_165011.html

11. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

Can't imagine why they call it China Mart! Cents an hour for factory workers, government owned companies to make the goods, child labor, free prison labor.....then the goods are brought to the good ol u.s.a. and sold in stores using child labor, illegal immigrants, and paying low wages to justify the "savings" they pass on to the consumer? Oh, but they give back to the communities? Now you folks stopping picking on good ol China Mart.....

Oh, by the way, for every 6 six ships importing goods from China to this country, they all return EMPTY except for one. Now that's a good trade off. And the one that returns full of u.s. goods? NOT products to sell. Nope. More often than not, it's our SCRAP from recycle companies they own here, then ship back to make more of those high quality products they sell us.

I'm as frugal as they come, but sometimes you just have to pay a little more or go out of your way to do what is right. I refuse to shop Bass Pro, and I refuse to shop Walmart / Chinamart !!!

12. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

I do what I believe IS right--I shop at wal mart. Why is it when a mom and pop operation is successful and goes big business everyone hates it? The business of business IS to turn a profit. Fixing the world is for charities. And many of those 'sweatshops' and 'underpaid' people in other countries think what they are getting paid IS good pay compared to what else is available. As to loyalty to suppliers, why in the world should they be?? So suppliers don't have to compete?

13. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

OK HOOP .... what do you REALLY think? ;)

I gotta agree with ya.

14. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

It's good ole capitalism at it's finest. Screw everyone da'cha can and count the money ... the one with the most WINS .... What about ethics and morality? At what price are these sold / bought?

SILLY QUESTION ... I know :eek:

We can't cry about the loss of American jobs and shop at WalMart ....

15. DraftFlavored

DraftFlavored Well-Known Member

I absolutely support Capitalism.... A business must be profitable to survive, to grow.
    Capitalism and the opportunity available here is what makes this great country even greater.
    There's also a responsibility to practice good business ethics and principle.

I rather doubt that ole' Sam Walton would approve of what Walmart has become.

16. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

I'll give it to ya there ... Sam built the business on American Made .... now it's show me the money.

Capitalism ...like every thing else should have limits

17. Aunt Elner

Aunt Elner Well-Known Member

In the Winter 2004 issue of Heirloom Gardener there is an article on the Walton family's personal farmer. John Walton, son of Sam Walton, and his family employ a personal farmer/gardener to grow organic vegetables and fruits on a acre near their home in San Diego. Of course, they don't live there much of the year, so their personal gardener packs up the produce and ships it to them where ever they are via overnight Fed Ex. They believe that eating organic foods helped resolve their son's cancer. The gist: they won't eat what they sell - it's not safe.

That's one of the things you're paying for when you shop at Wal-Mart.

No, thank you.

The Heirloom Gardener Magazine is produced by the people that run Baker Creek Seed Co; an heirloom seed company in the Ozarks. You can see more information about their seed business at www.rareseeds.com

18. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you really think the non organic stuff safeway sells is any safer than the non organic stuff wal mart sells?? Where I live, I can buy the same brands of food, household supplies, and clothing that I buy at wal mart at only other large chains and that only if I drive 80 miles or go to safeway. Do you really believe Dillard's pays the people in Taiwan more for making sneakers, or the people in Haiti more to make a shirt?? At least our wal mart carries a little organic stuff and soy based stuff, more than I can say for the competition. Jello is jello wherever you buy it, same with detergent, ammonia, vinegar, etc. The same brands of towels and sheets, etc, are available on line from Penney's. Think Penney's buys only pc made ones? Through the church I worked with a group who's goal was to bring jobs to villages around the world without them. Those people compete like crazy for what we american's see as slave labor. Why? Because they see it not as where they will end up, but as a chance to start! Compared to how even poor americans live, I would cringe to put those folks in touch with some american suppliers. But knowing it meant the difference between life and death to a lot of children, I would do it in a heartbeat. My friend in Nigeria expressed it very well when she told me to let her get a roof over her head and her children fed with what we consider slave labor. That accomplished, SHE will make sure they deal with their own government in a way that allows them to eventually have a decent standard of living.

19. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

When I worked for a local Wally World, things were not as bad for the associates as they now are. We had a manager that looked out for the associates interests, and went out of his way to help any that he could. Of course, this is only one store.

The manager would get a yearly bonus based on the percentage of markup of the store. Back in 1999 at a profit sharing meeting, he said it was about 70%, not sure about now. He would take his share and divide the rest up amongst the associates. That manager did so well for so many years that he was moved to another market to attempt to make a group of other stores profitable.

The new manager they shipped in was absolutely ruthless. He brought in assistant managers from elsewhere to find ways to fire higher wage associates that had a lot of time and seniority in. Those they didn't fire outright were harrassed until they quit. He replaced them all with young new hires at minimum wage, all with no benefits.

Female associates were forced to endure passovers for promotion and wage increases, while male associates were not. Female associates outnumbered male associates 10 to 1, so this saved them a lot of money on wages.

After lots of bad press in the local paper, management put an end to the PR donation drives for the community and stopped allowing charities to set up by the front doors or in the parking lot. Many former associates were told they were not allowed on the property due to rumors that they were trying to organize class action suits against the store management.

The store used to be a proud part of the community, and people were proud to work there. Now it's a blight on the community, but non-local people still drive from hours away to shop there.

Most of the locals now shop at the local mom & pop businesses, and are willing to pay higher prices just to avoid shopping at Wally World. Many new businesses have opened and are thriving, despite there being a super center in town.

I quit because of my disability before the downfall, but my DW and many of our friends from those days were among the casualties that lost their jobs to minimum wage replacements. Many were denied initial unemployment benefits because the new management refused to fill out requested forms giving a reason for termination. State law allowed benefits to be withheld for 6 weeks unless a reason of termination is given that is not considered a fault of the employee. When pressed by the local employment office for the reason behind the rash of terminations, Wally World finally quoted the state law that allows them to terminate without cause.

Bob

20. jlxian

jlxian Also known as Jean Supporter

When I found out that WalMart was a huge donor to the Republican Party I vowed to drastically cut back on the money I spend there. I wish I could cut them out entirely -- maybe someday I will be able to.