Wal mart seeds ?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by foxies, Jan 19, 2005.

1. foxies

foxies Well-Known Member

Hi
    I was wondering how good are the seeds from wal mart? I would love to hear what you think.
    Thanks Ann

2. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

I've bought seeds there and they were fine ...

Another brand that is surprisingly cheap but good are the American seeds. You can usually find these 10 or 20 for $1 at the big box stores come spring. Most of their offerings are pretty vanilla (basic) but last year they came out with 25 cent packets of things like coleus. Hey kewl! I've always gotten a good germination rate from their seeds too ...

3. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

I have the best luck with the American seeds. They grow great. I do use the Wal-Mart brand yellow squash seed. It just keeps on growing and making squash.

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Most Wal*Mart brand seeds are now packed by 3 old companies which no longer produce catalogs or rely on direct or mail order sales. Those companies are Ferry-Morse, Northrup-King, and Plantation Products. FM and NK have been around a long time and are well-respected companies. Both still maintain field growing stations in my area. Plantation Products does sell under the "American Seed" name but it is NOT the same as "American Seed Company" which is known for the large display racks of common 10 cent packets. Seed quality may not be as good as the more respected companies but what can you expect for a dime?

Martin

5. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

I have had greatest success with walmart seeds and plants...

6. andalusianchik

andalusianchik Member

If you have a dollar store in your area - preferably Dollar General - I get may American Seed there. Have had GREAT luck with them. I like Southern States. - There bulk prices are great (didn't see where you lived), have small bulk packages.. and are specific for the area. They also have bulk herbs.

7. foxies

foxies Well-Known Member

We live in Maine

8. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

well I can only speak for the one Wal-Mart brand seed (packaged by NK)I have tried. 2 years ago I bought Wal-marts Gardens Sugar Star pea. I didnt buy last year and I will not make that mistake this year! I loved the peas i bought from there and had probably a 98 percent germination rate (maybe more). Very tasty!

Kathy