Wal-Mart Cometh, And Right Soon

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by duke3522, Jan 27, 2005.

1. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

You won’t want to talk bad about WM here in Grant county Indiana for awhile. They just announced a 895,000 square foot distribution center that will bring over 600 jobs to the county. The center will be on the other side of the county from me so I do not think it will bother me to much.

I was wondering if anyone has had one of these move in near you. Wal-Mart and the politicians are saying that such a facility will attract other businesses to the area. Of course WM got a sweetheart deal in tax abatements and road and utilities improvements that Gas City is going to float a bond to finance. Boy am I glad I don’t live their.

I am still on the fence as to if this is good for our county. We really need the jobs since we have lost over 2500 manufacturing jobs in the last 2 years alone. But I also don’t trust WM. Before Thompson Electronics closed their plant here, they had the nerve to ask the city to provide FREE water to the plant in an effort to keep it open. What will keep WM from making similar demands down the road.

2. edjewcollins

edjewcollins Well-Known Member

"Before Thompson Electronics closed their plant here, they had the nerve to ask the city to provide FREE water to the plant in an effort to keep it open. What will keep WM from making similar demands down the road."

I am really unhappy with this slippery slope state and city governments are sliding down with abatements and incentives. The distribution center you speak of is a good example. Why don't the governments in this country collectively stop this nonsense. I mean where else is WM going to have distribution centers for the US, Canada, Mexico? They have to have them here so if they would all stop this incentive crap they would just build the things anyway. What this amounts to is the residents of that area subsidizing Walmart. That is crazy!
    Can you imagine calling the local assesors office and tell them you've been considering a move to thier town. Then you tell them that since you will be spending your money locally and benefitting the local economy, you want a 25% reduction in your property taxes. They would all have to go change their shorts from laughing to hard. Why should businesses, especially ones not even headquartered there, get a discount. Because governments are to stupid to collectively say enough already. It is like because you are a business you are in a better class in our country, normal individuals don't get the same incentives.

Ed

3. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie "You have to be odd to be number one." Dr Seuss

There is a Walmart distribution center in Oneida County, NY. They lay off A LOT.
    Or at least they did when we lived in Herkimer County, which is right next door. That was 6-7 years ago so maybe it's better now. It got so that when they ran job openings in the paper no one would apply because you never knew how long the job would last.

Stacy

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey, here is a message on this topic that I can _agree_ with! :) Been watching the other threads, and am quite amazed.

Right on, Ed. I agree 100%. The governments trying to outbid their neighbors with local tax breaks to industry simpley saddle residents with the tax, and make the town/ county unlivable. It's foolishness, and should be stopped. Taxes & assesments issued the same, on one and all. It would be the only sensible policy.

--->Paul

5. cheryl-tx

cheryl-tx Well-Known Member

Wal-mart opened a distribution center here in New Caney, TX

As far as jobs, I just don't know, everyone yelled, "NEW JOBS", this is a very low income area so it was welcomed by most.

I know of not one person who got employment. Not like I know everyone in the area, but all I spoke with never even got a call back. I even applied, I have shipping and receiving experience, I did not get a call. My son after graduation applied as did all of his friends, not one got a job. Yet, the ads are in the paper all the time stating they are hiring. Other than increasing traffic and a few accidents, did not do a thing for our area. It's only been open a year now so maybe I just don't see all the benefits, that were mentioned in the local papers, by having such a place open here.

6. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

There is a WalMart distribution center in the town where I live, and they had to build a new interstate interchange for it. Same thing in another Wisconsin town where I used to live. I know a few people who used to work in the warehouse, and hated it. It brought people to the area from many miles away, and lots of them commute long distances for a day of very hard work for some of them. I thinnk that it has brought more congestion to our roads, their lights in the parking lots light up the whole sky all night, and they don't treat their employees very well, although it might be a bit better than in the retail stores.
    I wish they weren't here.

Jim

7. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

There's a WM dist center about 15 mi. from me at the interstate. I know people that work there and some that used to. They took a huge field and turned it into a gigantic wharehouse, parking lot and shop. It's one of the busiest places around as all WM dist centers are. The workers work hard, but are given shift options of either 4 days a week at 10 hrs. a day or 3 days a week but every weekend. So you either work every weekend or no weekends. those that stay seem to like it. The truck repair shop is A-1 first rate facility and the employees do well. WM drivers, the 18 wheel WM trucks, are some of the best paid drivers in the industry. A dist center will mean driver openings, wharehouse openings, and shop openings along with maint. and security plenty of security. The outside trucking companies houling to the dist center will also be hiring and truck traffic will increase. All area businesses will grow due to traffic patterns and need for fuel and food.

8. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

WalMart is the biggest welfare whore in the world.

They demand corporate welfare in the form of no property taxes for decades, free land, worker training assistance (what a joke), etc, etc, ......as they pit communities against each other.

What happens is an abundance of jobs below the poverty level, most of which are without any significant benifits such as health insurance.

What really steams me about China Mart is the fact that long time pillars of the community (your local pharmacies, grocery stores, hardware stores, etc) that have supported the community for decades are being destroyed.

If China Mart wants to compete, thats fine. Do it. Don't use my tax dollars in the form of corporate welfare to ruin long term local businesses.

9. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I know a few people that work for a Wal-Mart dist center. The warehouse stuff was fairly heavy work, it is after all, a warehouse. Not anything too extraordinary for those who don't mind physical labor. Tends to have high turnover for the simple reason that some people just aren't suited to that kind of work. They make pretty decent money and have good benefits. One of them is on the management level and does very well with very good prospects for advancement if he wishes.

10. johnghagen

johnghagen Well-Known Member

:( 600 jobs at below poverty wages.Can a young person start and raise a family on 8.59 a hour damm the Wall
    Marts

11. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

This is what James Kuntsler says about stores like Wally World in his new book The Long Emergency:

"Operations like WalMart have enjoyed economies of scale that were attained because of very special and anomalous historical circumstances: a half century of relative peace between great powers. And cheap oil - absolutely reliable supplies of it, since the OPEC disruptions of the 1970s.

WalMart and its imitators will not survive the oil market disruptions to come. Not even for a little while. WalMart will not survive when its merchandise supply chains to Asia are interrupted by military contests over oil or internal conflict in the nations that have been supplying us with ultra-cheap manufactured goods. WalMart's "warehouse on wheels" will not be able to operate in a non-cheap oil economy

It will only take mild-to-moderate disruptions in the supply and price of gas to put WalMart and all operations like it out of business. And it will happen. As that occurs, America will have to make other arrangements for the distribution and sale of ordinary products."

12. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe Congress (fancy this happening! Helping taxpayers at the expense of business?) should make a rule that only those industries that could/would go overseas can get tax abatements not those- like these distributors- that have to be somewhere in US and seem to do well pitting county against county for the privilege of supporting them on their tax dollars.

Still the biggest taxpayer rip off is sports in big towns. God Bless Green Bay which owns its football team, so it can't threaten to move. I am from Pittsburgh and my beloved Three Rviers Stadium was torn down, rebuilt with plenty of govt assistance, and named after a company that helped fund it! All so my relatives can cheer them on the TV- they sure can't afford tickets to the stadium their city mostly paid for, blackmailed by threats of moving to a new town.

13. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

I am so tired of hearing this sort of crap.

Pillars of the community? Give me a break!
    A lot of times, those businesses charge high prices because they believe they have a captive trade. The only thing being destroyed is their stranglehold on the local economy.

Example: Our local hardware store/lumber yard had very little competition (their closest competitor was nearly 30 miles away) until recently.
    Their attitude ... "You want a drill? All we carry are contractor's grade tools. Buy it from us or drive 30 miles." That's right - you couldn't even buy a homeowner's grade drill, typically costing about $40, without having to travel. So when Home Depot opened nearby, it was simply amazing how fast the prices dropped at the local store - nearly $1 per 2x4!

The same thing happens when Wal-Mart comes to town. It's called competition ... either adapt or perish. Period. That's one of the main rules of business.
    The important thing to remember is that stores like Sears, K-Mart, etc have all had their "day in the sun" - just as Wal-Mart is having now. Sooner or later, their turn to be knocked off the top of the heap will come.

How many of you can remember shopping at now non-existant major chain stores?

14. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Jenn- I feel your pain! I miss Three Rivers Stadium. When you drive by to cross the bridge and go through the tunnels now from the city side the lights and people off to your right seem surreal. It is not a thing of beauty. Maybe I will adjust to it.

We are still mourning the loss of Forbes Field. Do you remember it?

15. Wannabee

Wannabee Foggy Dew Farms

I know there are a lot of negatives. Wal-Mart is my least favorite store in the world. But I am also from Grant county, and trust me, this county is in need of those jobs! Minimum wage or otherwise - we have people ( a large percentage) that live entirely off welfare. We are also suffering from a mass exodus out of Grant County, which is obviously dropping real estate prices as well. What is better - give the welfare to individuals or give abatements to businesses?? Yes, the big guy gets richer, but at least some of the people in Grant County can have some satisfaction that they are supporting the household now, and not the government. Truthfully, if we HAD to get a distribution center, I would have preferred that it was Tractor Supply or Rural King, but that is just my opinion!

In the meantime a local resident has obtained all the financing to start a $62 million dollar Ethenol plant. That is supposed to create about 40 more jobs. I am just hoping we can get Grant COunty on the right track again......

16. jgbndaudio

jgbndaudio Well-Known Member

Just a few weeks ago my girlfriend and I went to hear James Kuntsler speak in person at a conference in Hudson, NY. Thanks for bringing up his book; if only it were required reading in schools today so that the next generation were prepared for what is going to happen.

Also, as a side note, here's a link to Purple Ocean, a WalMart watchdog group. A good source for serious and legitimate statistics which, taken altogether, provide what should be irrefutable evidence that the world's largest corporation is doing nothing but making itself richer on the backs of the environment and our communities -- and corporate welfare courtesy of our tax dollars.

http://walmart.purpleocean.org/

17. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

I was told by a person who had researched superwalmarts coming to a community that for every job they bring the town loses two due to places going out of business.

18. renabeth

renabeth Well-Known Member

We have a dist. center here and they are pretty good jobs. I know a guy who worked his way from order filler to 2nd in command, so it can be done. The people who have stayed since the beginning make pretty good, so if you want to work for them get in early. But be warned, they weed a lot of workers out in the beginning with 12 hour days, but the ones that survived have pretty good jobs now. I would say it will be good for your community, it was for ours.

19. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Wally's World will be providing more jobs for the road crews that repair the streets and roads to and from the dist. centers. A steady stream around the clock of 18 wheelers will play havoc to the roads. That also means higher taxes for road repair.

The good part, if you have the means and the expertise, opening a diner nearby could make some big bucks from those truckers.

20. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I wouldn't doubt it. The customer service is definitely lacking at our wallyworld. No sign of intelligent life, and lines often times 20 shoppers deep. If I shop local I may have to pay more, but I don't spend 15 minutes trying to find a parking spot, only to get inside and have to wait another 20 minutes in line, and then try to get out of the parking lot when I'm done. Even running in for just one or two items would take me an hour from turning the corner into the parking lot.

I've kicked the wally world habit, makes me a happier person.