Wal-Mart Anti-freeze??? HALF WATER

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Farmer Brown, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Well-Known Member

Bought 6 cases in Oct. Now I find out it's half water. Instead of the 50-50 mix giving -34F protection, like it says on the jug, you get + 5F. I would not depend on anybrand being pure product. Wal-Mart is looking into the matter, so they tell me. FB

2. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

Did it not say on the label what the protection temperature was?

Don't blame any store because you assumed it was good for 34 below. Labels must be read nowdays, more than ever. I have made mistakes assuming things in the past, but I have gotten much better at reading labels before purchasing. It saves a lot of money in the long run.

3. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Well-Known Member

DEFECTIVE TESTERS!!! I took my unused 9 gallons back in and traded for Prestone. While there we tested the W-Mart stuff I took back and it checked out OK. Sorry for bad mouthing W-M. They said the ball type will soak up antifreeze over the yrs and make them give weak reading. So---I buy a new tester, come home and all my stuff checks out fine.

4. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I never go by the label suggestions. I prefer using my specific gravity hydrometer to verify what level I intend to protect my vehicle. I often buy the pre diluted ethylene glycol mix and simply add 2 jugs at 1/3 the cost instead of buying $15 worth of name brand that requires cutting and seldom has enough left over to use in my second vehicle.

5. jhannibalak

jhannibalak Member

In last months "Fast Company" magazine they had an article about Wal-Mart. It really puts Wal-Mart down. The article places Wal-Mart as a company that will do anything to bring low prices to their customers. But at what price! The article continues to say that many US companies have went out of business selling to Wal-Mart. Many distributors that sell products to Wal-Mart loose money. Why??? Wal-Mart wants to buy at such a low dollar that companies in the US can't make enough money to stay in business. That is why many of Wal-Mart products are now made in foreign countries. That was not the case 10 to 15 years ago when Sam Walton was running Wal-Mart. He took pride on US made items. I can't find the article but look at these items that I have cut and paste.

1. It's the world's largest retailer and this country's largest private employer. And Wal-Mart tops another category as well: It faces more lawsuits than any other company in the United States -- some 5,000 in 2000, according to USA Today.

Found the article... http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html

read about the wal-mart you don't know...

JOHN

6. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I just got hold of a new tester. First time I got 4 balls, ok figure you must be right, but then see air bubbles amoung the little cluster of balls, thump tester and two balls fall. One to bottom and other hangs in middle no matter what, so guess I have 2 1/2 balls. Still not adequate by far and no apology to walmart by me. You might want to go test one more time and thump tester couple times to see if all balls stay up. Air bubbles seem to stick to balls in new tester lot worse than old testers. I bought some prestone and am going to fill gallon jug one half full of walmart mix from radiator and add full strength prestone in small increments until I get appropriate reading. Proper level of antifreeze raises boiling point in summer same as it lowers freezing point in winter. Bugs me to leave something done halfassed.

Jay, I used to have a cheap hydrometer, but little label with scale on it came off inside sealed glass float and the rubber bulb rotted. Threw it away. Dont see them for sale anymore, just the little ball type testers which are based on same principle.

7. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Just went to a respected auto parts store and bought the pre-mixed stuff yesterday. Why did I "pay more" for water? Because my 72 yo M-I-L will NOT mix anything, forget about using a hydrometer. And her older car needs topped off from time to time. For some the cost is worth the convenience.