waking up to no water

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Meg Z, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

The electricity went off in the night, for while, then came back on. When we got up, we had no water. We assumed a switch was tripped, but no, the pump was running. In fact , it appeared that it had been running continuously since the electricity came back on about 4 hours ago, trying to fill the tank. It was pretty hot, so hubby turned it off.

So, if the pump is running, but no water is moving, what do we look at next? We await your wisdom :worship:

Thanks,
    Meg :)

2. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

Fill the suction line with water, if you can. You may have lost prime.

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

EasyDay,
    Hubby was coming to the same conclusion...but isn't sure how to re-prime it. He's looked up the model and gotten a parts chart. Any thing he should specifically do or avoid doing during this attempt?
    Thanks for your help!

4. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

No, nothing to avoid. Just make sure that the whole suction line if filled. Does he know HOW to do it? If you need more precise info, let me know.

5. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

Do you have a "T" between the pump and well? If not, you might want to consider putting one in at some point. Just add a T on the run, and cap the bull. This makes for easy priming if it ever loses suction again. You can just remove the cap and fill it with water from there.

6. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

This is the husband with no water....still. As the pipe comes out of the top of the pump it branches out to the tank (very small, only 4.5 gal) and to the house. In the line to the house about five inches from the T is a plug (on top of the pipe) which I took out to expose the interior of the line. There was also a shutoff valve on the house side of the plug that I shut off. As I took out the plug, you could feel it drawing air in. I filled this pipe up with water (I think I'm priming it) and plugged it back up. After powering up the pump again, it did draw water and charge the lines which we tested with a garden hose...but not for long. After the pump cut off when pressure was reached, I could hear air or something bleeding around in the tank. Then the pump would cut on again to recharge the tank. It also did the same thing with the valve to the house closed. I think there is pressure bleeding from the tank somewhere or though the pump, but I don't have any leaking water and can't find where air could be leaking. So it's shut off for now and we're just waiting on some return calls from folks a lot smarter than I am, which wouldn't be hard. I think I may end up having the whole shebang replaced. At least that would solve the water pressure problem I've had since I bought the place. Any ideas????

7. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

iff you have a leak on the suction side you wont see water hold a match by all the joints see where it sucks the flame in and tightin it

8. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Hey guys,
    Thanks for the tips and such. I think hubby has it working...We'll know for sure when I go to take a shower in the morning. :eek:
    He was impressed with the quick responses on here. Thanks for that, too!