Wake up and smell the coffee!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Oregon1986, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

Why do people decide to live in denial,even when proof is right in front of their faces? Several people I know refuse to admit there are wolves in Oregon. EVEN with camera footage. I guess it will take one eating them for it really to sink in,lo!

fordy and ShannonR like this.
  2. cfuhrer

cfuhrer Wood Nymph / Toxophilite

Oregon DFW has a page devoted to the wolves.
    There are wolves who's designations start with OR.
    There are packs named after Oregon landmarks/regions.

Tell me, do these people also deny the moon landing and the Holocaust?

Bob Johnsun, ShannonR and Oregon1986 like this.

3. Oregon1986

Lol I'm not sure but I wouldn't put it past them

4. ShannonR

ShannonR hillbilly farmgirl

The wolves in California came from Oregon!!

Thanks for your wolf problem, BTW.
    Hahahaha.....j/k but wolves in OR and CA are both fact.

cfuhrer and Oregon1986 like this.
  5. Oregon1986

Lol you're welcome

ShannonR likes this.
  6. ShannonR

The REAL wolf problem here, is that CA has labelled them an "endangered species". I have alot to say on that subject, but better hold my tongue........

Back2Basix, cfuhrer and Oregon1986 like this.
  7. Oregon1986

I understand some animals are protected but if a wolf comes at me,my children or my animals it's dead

8. ShannonR

I am about 90% sure I have seen one here already. It was having a standoff with my dogs, right next to the chicken pens.

This creature was clearly wild, and I was told by fish and game it was probably a coyote. But the next time I actually did see a coyote I called it a fox, ecause the "coyote" I had seen before was so unbelievably huge, this little thing couldn't possibly have been a 'yote!

Wolves haven't been documented quite in my area yet, but are in the next county to the east and north of me..mmm

9. Oregon1986

I'd trust your gut. I've thankfully never seen one up close but I've had my share of run ins with cougars

ShannonR likes this.
  10. ShannonR

My gut says that if it couldn't possibly be a wolf, then nobody should take issue with my shooting it. By the time I went inside and grabbed the rifle it was gone, though

Cougars, those are even sneakier!! They are here and we see sign but never a live one. Every so often one gets hit on the local highway nearby.
    Bears are the number one problem here but the dogs take pretty good care of them for the most part

11. Oregon1986

We have 4 cougars that we know of that have made our property home. I tell you what,it's butt puckering when you run into one of them in your barn and you have no gun on you

cfuhrer and ShannonR like this.
  12. ShannonR

13. cfuhrer

cfuhrer Wood Nymph / Toxophilite

No pucker protection?!

14. Oregon1986

Just bought myself some pucker protection,lol

ShannonR and cfuhrer like this.
  15. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Here I have seen a Mountain Lion, got a couple other friends that have seen them. One friend went to the Game Warden's office to see what would happen if he killed one----he was followed into his tree stand area by one--one morning---but did not have time to get a picture before it ran. The GW said We Do Not Have Those Here---you seen something else----He tried to persuade them he did--no Luck---he said well being we do not have them---guess I can not get in trouble if I kill one---that we do not have?? Less than a week later---he caught one on camera----complete Cat----he went back to their Office with proof----they asked him if he had that chip mailed in from another state/area----He gave up.

ShannonR likes this.
  16. Echoesechos

Echoesechos Well-Known Member

Yup. Or 7 wondered around my town for a bit until he headed southwest more. We have a family of them still living close by. I like that they're here, kinda. Just wish they were native timberwolves and not Canadian Greys. These are larger and more aggressive wolves.

I know some of how they've been moved around and it irritates me. Why set them and people up for conflict.

I listen at night but haven't heard them howl yet. On my bucket list. I'm tired of hearing the coyotes howl. Our Stephen King horror novel sound.

Oregon1986, cfuhrer and ShannonR like this.
  17. geo in mi

geo in mi Well-Known Member Supporter

Michigan had lots of Wolverines, but the Spartans ate them.......

geo

Echoesechos likes this.
  18. AmericanStand

AmericanStand Well-Known Member

It's hard to belive the idiots that see wolves at every tree and black panthers in every shadow.

I'm in mid Illinois. And it amazes me how some think the need to hunt coyotes. To save all the livestock.
    The hogs are in buildings and the cows don't need to worry but these guys thing the yotes are gonna eat their feet if they don't carry a gun.

Lisa in WA likes this.
  19. wdcutrsdaughter

wdcutrsdaughter Well-Known Member

wow you guys have some serious animals out there where you are - mountain lion and wolves and all! From what I understand Maine doesn't have wolves anymore. I hear a fisher give his/her fisher scream every once and a while just about after dusk. I think I saw it one morning, before sunrise, running into the woods out front. Looked like a long weasel. And I've seen bear scat, but no bear, which is fine by me. :) The coyotes are fun to listen to at night, as long as they sound far off enough haha

20. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

It is strange.
    We raised livestock with wolves, grizzly bears, black bears, cougars, coyotes, lynx, bald and golden eagles etc. in close proximity and didn't lose any. You take steps and protect your animals and realize where you live and not freak out about it.
    I loved hearing the wolves and a pic of a grizzly in front of our cabin is a cherished picture (I've posted it here before).