Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to gather some perspective. We have two Nubian gals who will be a year old March 2015. We contacted their breeder to see about getting them bred Spring of next year and she said that most people wait with Nubians until their 2nd Fall to avoid problem deliveries and because ours were out of triplet litters, they were more likely to have triplets, so even more reason to wait.. I respect her opinion as she's been breeding Nubians for 20+ years but...we were really hoping to be milking by Fall.

So, would you wait (Oct would see kids in March'ish)
What about breeding earlier to a Pygmy for dual purpose Kinders the first time? Is there less risk for too many/too big babies first time with a smaller breed?
And then what about breeding earlier to an ND for a mini-Nubian? same question about risk for deliveries?

We are not trying to build up a herd, we simply enjoy the heck out of our girls and want to have goats milk.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The advice around here - for all breeds - is to breed them if they are 90 lbs or more. This is, from what I gather, very conservative. Everybody on this forum it seems agrees that 80 lbs is big enough, and that's when I'll be breeding mine this year. Multiples actually make births easier - because each kid in a multiple birth is smaller than a single would be.

You can breed to a ND - lots of people do that for first fresheners, as it means smaller kids, which (in theory anyway) means an easier pregnancy and easier birth. But I wouldn't be afraid to go with a full sized buck, either. It is strictly a matter of preference.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am so glad you asked this question. Our two girls will also be a year old in March, also triplets, and Nubian/Saanen crosses. We were concerned about breeding this first year because they just seem so small.

HDAcres

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
If I had to wait to breed a goat, it's a goat I wouldn't want to own anyways. If managed correctly, they should be growthy enough to breed their first fall to kid out somewhere around their first birthday. I'll breed at 80lbs, here. They should be easily that by 8 months old, their first fall. Most of mine are bigger than that by 8 months, but they should at least gain 10lbs per month plus their birth weight.

IMO, they're livestock. If they don't fit your plans, then they're not the ones you want. I cull livestock instead of catering to them.

(Oh, and triplets in a FF would be a GOOD thing for me - I'd much rather have twins and trips than singles with ANY goat - they are smaller and easier to birth!)

Reactions: mzgarden

·
Legally blonde!
3,318 Posts
I normally have held my does back to kid as 2yr olds. I have had does kid out as yearlings with no issues but I always felt more comfortable waiting. This year however all my kids are being bred in November. They will be 8+ months old and as of right now they are almost 70lbs ranging up to 80lbs so by November I feel they will be plenty big enough. I am however breeding them to my new Nigerian Dwarf buck, I have always preferred breeding my first timers to a Nigerian Dwarf buck.

The biggest thing is proper nutrition during the pregnancy and while milking. Pregnancy is actually easier on the does than milking, milking requires more out of the doe than the actual pregnancy. I also prefer twins and triplets over singles because you generally have smaller kids to work with :). Much easier on momma to pass several small babies versus one huge baby :).

Justine

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I've only had 2 that were held over until their second year, due to extenuating health circumstances. All others, including triplets have been bred at 7-9 months. I have noticed the triplets get their growth spurts a little later, about the time they would be in their 2-3rd month gestation. Pregnancy at that point is not so demanding that they suffer any ill effects. By the time everyone kids, you can't tell who was a single, twin or trip.

If your trips had a rough start or had any health problems I can understand waiting though. You could wait an additional month, but kidding past April generally means more problems with parasites at an age they are vulnerable and forage is not as good for milkers during their peak. There are varying opinions on fall kidding, but from personal experience summer kidding is a pain in the butt!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I breed my Nubians at around 18 months and they have their first kids when they are almost 2. It works for me. I did have one of my bottle babies give birth at 16 months (Darn buck got out). She did fine. Just had a single which was OK because he was a BIG BOY!

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
I wait & breed mine when they are around 18 months old. My buck is huge though. I have him in with my adult does & he makes them look small. I couldn't imagine putting my little girls in with him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts