waiting for results

Discussion in 'Goats' started by steff bugielski, Feb 8, 2005.

1. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

The vet took blood samples of the does that aborted. I am waiting for the results. What are the chance that all 26 does will abort even if it infectious? Someone linked pinkeye to abortion, I ( the goats) had pinkeye last summer a medium case. But some did not show any signs at all. Sure would hate to have no babies. Specially since I've been feeling there little hooves and noses for weeks now.
    steff

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Optimally you would want the test ran on the kids themselves or the placenta, and since you are now running blood, I would...unless you are of the anti-antibiotic type, simply put everyone on a feed through tetracycline, and treat the offending does and buck that bred them, systemically and with the feed through. You aren't going to get a 100% negative test, but you can get a 100% positive test, which will force you to use the feed through anyway, so why not just start it now, discontineuing as you wean this flock of kids.

If the buck that bred these does bred the does who are also due to kid and they test positive for chlamydia, mycoplsma (but you likely would be seeing some swollen joints also) Q-fever, kids are born but die right afterwards or (shoot brain freeze the one they catch from kitten poop) than yes all the does will abort who have no immunity to these, and the only way a doe would have immunity to these is to have been born from a mom who has previously aborted or been treated.

1 early abortion is normal in a large herd, 1 late term abortion is also, especially in horned or very agressive goats, but 2...never, I would not be waiting around for test results that you can then question anyway, I would treat. Vicki

3. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Toxoplasmosis

4. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I had the vet take a second set of samples for comparison. I have three sets of twins since the two aborted. All six are healthy ,so far. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I have three more does due this week.
    Steff