waiting for farrowing

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by bethlaf, Apr 1, 2005.

1. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

all right, mrs pig is huge, her belly is hanging nearly to the ground, she does little but sleep , unless we go by her pen then shes up begging for yummies

what kind of signs should i be looking for to show delivery is imminent???
    he belly is full , you can see the piggles moving inside when she lays down , she seems ot be a bit more onery, where as beforei could go in and give her a good scratch and she would just grunt and enjoy it, now she will sometimes bark , (thats what i call it ,)
    and not let anyone touch her .

according to the folks we got her from she was bred on the 8th or 9th of december , she has farrowed before , last time she had 10
    but i am not sure when i should be expecting the arrival of these piggles, is she due now , like i thought or am i off by a couple of days ????

2. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

I don't think you are off as she sounds just about ready. 3 months, 3 weeks and 3 days would be tomorrow based on the 9th but I wouldn't take my eyes off of her until she pops. I always try to be handy at farrowing time, a trip to the store cost me 13 of 14 a few years back. They all suffocated from the membrane which could have been easily removed had I been there.

3. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Bethlaf,
    According to the dates you gave she is due any time now, 114 days from the 8th of dec is today, 114 to 118 days is the gestation time for hogs i do believe.
    if she is getting ornary she is getting there, she will also build a nest to have them in providing you have given her ample straw or hay with which to do so.
    once she has made the nest she will start at any time.
    good luck
    Rick

4. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

she started building a nest about3 weeks ago when we first got her, shes got 2 sites, one under the cedar tree , and the other in her log cabin
    i dont know, still nothing from her, and since we had to go to the auction tonight , andn o one was here i figured it might end up on the watched pot analogy, but we got home and still one pig, like i said you can see the little wiggly piglets in her tummy , so i know shes going ok , and all , just ....
    ahh, i guess it really boils down to i dont like waiting :D

ill keep you posted :D
    Beth

5. beeman97

Beth,
    I would bet on the under the log cabin area as it sounds like a more protected area from the 2 choices she has made, but ,, it also sounds to me that those are not her actual nests but her sleeping area's, when she makes a nest she will do it relatively quickly before farrowing & it will look somewhat different then her sleeping bed.
    If she has more then enough hay or straw she will actually burrow into it & be completely covered.

6. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

heres a question , since she finally consented to give birth , she has had 4 piglets, and now delivered afterbirth , is she done ? this seems like a terribly small litter, i was told her last litter was 10....
    weve only had her a month , so i dont think it was anything we could have done differently, is there?

7. beeman97

I doubt she is done beth ,,, give her a full 12 hrs & then see how many she has had
    i would bet on 8 , it is my opinion she will have one side then the other side ,,, which is why she has expelled afterbirth ,, she will now start delivering the other half & then be done.
    Rick

8. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

well as of right now she has 7......we shall see in the morning what the number is ...
    if itso nly eight, what would cause such a small litter, her first litter when the other owners had her was 10

just concerned cause well, i have 5 of these already sold ...now thinking i might only get these 7 or maybe 8 , glad i didnt pre sell any more ....