Waiting 1 year to breed?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by texastami, Apr 27, 2005.

1. texastami

texastami Zone 7B Supporter

We have gotten two NZ cross does (8 weeks) for the family to become accustomed to raising rabbits, the care and vetting involved - We were considering getting one or two more to add to our group (different breed) and raise them all as breeder stock - altho we don't want to breed them until NEXT year. Thats the whole deal.... no breeding until we get moved to our homestead in MO.

My question is.... will we be hurting or compromising the does by waiting until they are one year old before we breed them? Are there long term benefits or consquences to waiting until they are a year old? I have tried to find an answer, but can't seem to!!

Thanks!!

Tami

2. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

Tami, there is no problem waiting a year, you may loose a productive breeding or two, and the first one once you get to MO, may not be a winner, born on the wire, didnt pull fur etc....... but that is extremely common in first breedings.

Dont sweat it, it will not hurt the rabbits any to wait a little longer to breed like rabbits.

_Neal and Beth

3. texastami

texastami Zone 7B Supporter

Thanks _Neil and Beth!!

I bred rabbits years ago, but I always bought almost grown breeders who had already had their first litters... Wanted to start out with my own lines this time!!

Thanks so much!!

4. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

I would add that it is BEST to breed them when young, if you wait a year, there is a higher chance the doe won't be as productive, or won't be a good mother, etc... I've raised hundreds of rabbits and saw this very strong trend. That said, as long as you don't mind the drawbacks, you could wait. I would recommend breeding now, but if you wait, it shouldn't kill you unless you are unlucky, but if you keep youngin's from them it will be no problem.

5. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

======

Hi Tami ,, Normally NZ are first bred at 5-6 months ,, since your wanting to wait till next year ,, 12 months from now ,,, maybe you could try a first breeding at around 7 months ,, where you are now ,, you'll only need 1-2 extra cages ,, they'll be 8 months when due ,,

(If they 'take' the first time you try) you'll probably get 1-2 misses before they start 'taking' ,, ;-) ,,,

Leave them w mom till 8 weeks ,, 10 months old now ,, if you breed the does again at that time : ,,,,,, (11 months old when due again) ,,,, you would only have 2 'practice' breedings done before you move to your new place ,, that would give you some fryers to practice butchering ,, when they are old enough ,,

Everyone will tell you when you get ready to breed your rabbits they will not always breed like rabbits ,, lol ,, you'll have misses ,, litters on wire all dead ,, loseing the litter to cold ,, I understand your not wanting to start raising till you get moved but you might be able to squeeze in a try at breeding beforehand ,, ,

Just my 2c worth ,,

6. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

If you need to wait that long, you MUST be very vigilant about
    controlling the feed. If the does are allowed to overconsume
    and become fat, it can be detrimental to a successful breeding
    and lactation. Internal fat around the reproduction organs is
    not good for rabbits.

Best wishes on your move.

Linda Welch
    http://www.texasrabbitconnection.com
    http://www.texasrabbitconnection.com/forums/