Wagons/trailers are too expensive, would like to make one...

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by gardentalk, May 22, 2006.

1. gardentalk

gardentalk Well-Known Member

For your mechanics and DIY'ers here, I am asking for input on how to go about building a wagon/trialer I can pull with my S-10 pickup. We will be spending $50-60 to have some 16' fence panels delivered to us. Would have been great to have a wagon/trailer so I can do it myself.

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

1. What are tyhe licencing/ legal rules on a trailer on the road in your state?

2. Wagons generally are horrible on th road. Can't go over 30mph or it shakes itself & you to death. Yea, yea, a good one tight bushings balanced wheels righ camber can go 60mph - but that is not going to be a 'cheap' one to build....

3. Farm auctions are a good place to find deals, have to attend a few to find something you want & no one else does that day.....

--->Paul

3. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

Make one out of the bed of an old pickup truck. With the tail gate down it would be 10 feet long. Your panels would stick over a bit but that's what red flags are for. I put a couple concrete blocks on the front of the panels and it works fine. :cowboy:

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Y'all are gonna laugh at me on this one. We bought an old Manure Spreader at a farm sale for $75. We simply pulled floor chains out, removed rear beater and threw that stuff in the iron pile.
    Makes a handy two-wheel trailer for hauling firewood, building materials, remodeling project refuse, etc. Allready comes with drawbar and jackstand built in. We did torx screw new plywood to the floor as it was getting weak.

5. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine is made from a mobile home axle and angle frame. Tractor supply had the wiring, coupling, stand ect. Axel came with wheels and springs. It'll haul lumber or rolled hay. Gotta have a trailer on the place.

6. tallpaul

tallpaul Well-Known Member

Actually unless you are a fabricator- a fairly good one at that, building one for road speeds is something I consider to be selfish and stupid. To put your own things at risk is one thing but a homebuilt trailer can KILL innocent bystanders if it falls apart at the wrong time. something to think about I think... I'd say find a used one in decent shape and look around and don't buy the first one you see unless you know its a deal.

7. gardentalk

gardentalk Well-Known Member

Where's a good place to get a bed of an old pickup truck (besides buying an old pickup truck and cutting away the bed)? The junkyard?

8. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

We have several and have built several. Good welds and proper alignment will make it safe enough. Make sure to use the proper sized ball-we have gone to all 2", 2 3/8, and lunette eyes(pintle hooks-military style). We place and keep proper sized safety chains on ALL tongues. A major problem with most towing acidents is loading the trailer wrong. You should have proper tongue weight and enough weight in the tow truck so the trailer does not push you around in a quick stop/swerve.

9. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

Tallpaul's right. If you have an accident with a homemade trailer, there's a good chance your insurance company is going to take a walk, particularly if you don't have road-speed axles but some will do it even if you did a good job building it.

10. tallpaul

tallpaul Well-Known Member

I believe they mean the truck bed trailer that is made from the truckbed and the original frame that is still under the bed and the cab foward is removed, the frame is then modified in front of the bed to take the hitch. You basically use an old truck with a bad motor/tranny or a truck with a totalled front end to build one.

11. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

You said you were needing to haul 16' fence panels, so I didn't suggest the pivkup conversion - not long enough. While those types of trailers can be handy & useful, don't think it does what you want?

--->Paul

12. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Might I suggest hitting the boat yards and looking for an old boat trailer? They are long, relatively light, and can be made into a decent utility trailer without much ado.

13. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

Only problem with that is they geto 500 bucks or more for a old trailer. I got two a while back, free for just picking them up, took them and serviced them greased the bearings, ect. sold them for 500 bucks each as is.

14. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I was just at a farm auction where a nice big hay wagon went for 100 bucks.

Great shape.

15. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I remember an article in old TMEN of guy who made a hayrack using frame and axles out of an old station wagon (one of those old big ones). He just welded so frame solid to axles making springs non functional and welded in a tongue to with existing tie rods connected to it so it would steer. Course you might luck into a good heavy duty wagon gear with or without hayrack at some auction cheap. Cant tow too bad as some auctioneers have such and tow them to auction site to use to sell misc. off of. Around here that means on busy hiways with fast traffic.

16. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

If you wanted to make your own out of a boat trailer..I've got two boat trailers. Problem is.one holds an older 16' regular hull fiberglass boat..and the other holds a 16' deep hull fiberglass boat. I don't use or need them anymore..and would be willing to sell them relatively cheap.

Not for sale is my 16' automobile-hauler trailer. But it does hold a lot of fence. Holds my John Deere tractor very nicely too.

17. tamarackreg

tamarackreg Well-Known Member

I got my full size p/up box trailer for $50 about 8 yrs ago, saw it for sale along the road. Got a cap for free a short time later. That thing has hauled more stuff than you can imagine. Pulled it w/ an s-10 a lot. 16' panels no problem, leave the tailgate up and strap them on top.

18. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

Boat trailer axles are too light to take much of a load. Mobile home axles are easy to work with as you can cut out a center section to get the length you need and they will slide into a 4" pipe sleeve to bring them back up to strength and alignment.

19. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

You mean those 16' wire cattle or hog panels? You can bend them up into a "U" shape in the box and take them home that way. No trailer needed at all.

Jennifer