Wagon ran me over

Discussion in 'Weight Loss Forum' started by Oregon1986, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

Yup I fell off the Atkins wagon hard today,ugh. While I'm seeing weight loss,I find the lifestyle difficult. Especially now that fall will soon be here and I'm A huge stew,soup, and Hardy food lover

Solar Geek likes this.
  2. Solar Geek

Solar Geek Well-Known Member

I fell off a few weeks ago. Company and huge parties (I am hosting) for 2 solid weeks. Ends next week Friday. Then I will crawl back on. Good luck

Oregon1986 likes this.

3. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I kind of bounce on and off my meal plan wagon, depends on how down in the dumps I am at any given day sad to say.

Oregon1986 likes this.
  4. Oregon1986

Good luck to you as well

Solar Geek likes this.
  5. Oregon1986

I totally get that. Some days you just need comfort food

6. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie "You have to be odd to be number one." Dr Seuss

It happens, you'll get back on.

I was low carb (not Atkins) but didn't see the results that would make the sacrifice worth it. I just count calories now, and I've lost more weight.

Solar Geek and Oregon1986 like this.
  7. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

A good soup or stew recipe:

Simmer dark meat chicken. chop it up. Flavor with a bit of garlic. Add a small amount of cabbage and as many non-starchy vegetables such as bell peppers and green beans that you want to.

Enjoy.

Irish Pixie is right. Think abut the weight you have lost and do it again! Or, count calories instead. Either way, you are in control!

COSunflower and Solar Geek like this.
  8. Oregon1986

Jumped right back on today

9. Terri

Awe
    Awesome.

10. emdeengee

emdeengee Well-Known Member

You can fall off the wagon completely and land in the weeds or you can adjust what you are eating and stay for the hay ride. If the full Atkins is testing you then add some grains (bread, rice, pasta etc) back in. Better to have small quantities of things you crave (and being without on a restricted diet can make your body rebel).

You can make a great stew with what is on the Atkins plan and then just add a biscuit. And pumpkin pie and apple pie - there are several crust-less recipes on line and if you want crust just have a small piece. One of my tricks when I am exposed to something scrumptious that I know I will give in to very shortly is to follow the 2 bite rule. That is often enough to satisfy and not leave you feeling deprived. Last week I had two bites of a chocolate fudge cake and that was enough. Mind you the bites are to be normal well mannered bites and not like a vulture ripping into the cake. Had to tone that down in the beginning.

Life is about change. You have decided to change to lose weight. But that does not mean that you cannot tweak what you are doing as long as you keep watching the quantities that you eat. And of course walking is the best exercise and so relaxing. Except up here when it gets to 30 below zero. But then again dogs don't care and they are the best exercise instructors. Who can resist a dog leaning against the front door with his leash in his mouth and sighing loudly every 20 seconds?

ShannonR likes this.
  11. Terri

I, too, am not comfortable without a grain. But, one slice of toast with morning eggs will do the trick: I used to eat two.

Whatever diet you are on, the important thing is you decide what you need to eat to lose weight and then do it!

I eat small amounts of grain with other meals s well

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    COSunflower likes this.
  12. IndyDave

IndyDave Well-Known Member

If it happens again, just relax, get comfortable, have your husband gently rub the tire marks off your back, and have a fresh start the next morning! :)

Oregon1986 likes this.
  13. Skamp

Skamp Well-Known Member

I'll ask again, micros?

14. Elffriend

Elffriend Well-Known Member

This is a good time of year for a big batch of chili. I make one with no beans or tomato and it's pretty low carb. (This is not my attempt to start the annual chili debate, I swear)
    This is one of my favorite low carb recipe sites:
    http://genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html
    She's got a whole section dedicated to soups.

15. Oregon1986

Oh yumm,I'll try that thank you

16. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

You just need to make buddies with mr. diabetes as your trainer. With him running longside your wagon, you fall off and it will only cost you an arm and a leg.

Seriously without the diabetes as incentive, I never would went low carb. And can only imagine the extra difficulty if you have to be around or live with people that arent low carb. And extremely difficult to eat out. Even lot meat is either breaded or has sugary sauces on it. Pretty easy for a hermit, cant eat what isnt in the house or garden.

COSunflower and Oregon1986 like this.
  17. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

Diets, like disciplining your kids, cannot be applied using the one size for all method. That to me, makes it somewhat frustrating to listen to all of the gurus on tv pitch their methods as the end all of weight loss. What works for me does not and will not work for my wife, and will get me in hot water if I try to push her to follow along.
    I know a guy who lost 40 pounds over the summer by doing nothing more than to stop eating after 8 pm. What?.....
    I know a woman who drank 3 fruit smoothies each day and had one (yes one) spoonful of each course of her dinner at night. I watched her one thanksgiving eat one bite of 16 different dishes and she was done. She now weighs about 100 lbs.
    Everyone has a book, a youtube video, etc but the best answer for me was to take someone else's idea and just make it my own.
    Eat less, eat healthy, drink water and exercise, everything else is just personal.

Oregon1986 likes this.
  18. Oregon1986

Very well said

19. Bellyman

Bellyman Well-Known Member

Fulltime RVer looking for a Tennessee homestead
    And even that is gonna look different to different people. LOL! (Eating less than what, and healthy according to who? LOL!! It gets messy quick.)

In all seriousness, you're right, we all have to find our path.

20. Elffriend

Elffriend Well-Known Member

That is very true. The diet I eat, very low carb, virtually no grains or starchy veg and limited fruit would be considered very unhealthy by someone who was, say, a raw vegan. But as a diabetic it's very healthy for me.

COSunflower, Oregon1986 and Bellyman like this.